Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Dad's Birthday

I was almost born on my dad's birthday July 6th.
He'd have been 94 years old today, but he died just
before his 29th birthday. Sixty-five long years ago.
Almost as long as I have lived. I was only 5 yrs. old
when he made his sudden unexpected departure from life.

I think of him now and then, wondering how he is.
What it will be like to meet him one day as a grownup.
I hope he is proud of my life and accomplishments
and his four grown grandsons who are his posterity
that he never met. I know he watches over us all.

My Dad STANLEY HAROLD VERNON killed June 18, 1945
in his private airplane crash in Milford, Utah.

11 comments:

  1. It must be difficult for you to have not known him when you became a teenager, an adult, a mother. Lovely tribute to your dad who died too young, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragic death. Do you have any memories of your father?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely tribute....well done Lin.
    Lin I have also opened a new blog catered to caring for your hair, skin & nails. Maybe you can check it out sometime.

    http://shearsensations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about this Lin, but am sure he is proud of his daughter today and is watching over you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lin, this is very interesting. Have you been able to 'recreate' him from family stories? Do you feel like you have a 'relationship' with him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrible loss for you so young. It's so hard to lose a parent. I wish you good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lin, do you use either Family Tree Maker or the Roots Magic 4 (or whatever it's called)? I use ancestry.com and have been entering information there. If I keep a family tree there why do I need another on my computer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Lin. Wow. Your post makes me stop and think I must appreciate all those wonderful people around me as they are because they are here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! He was killed in a plane crash! You poor mother what she had to endure too. We know if he is in heaven--he is happy and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father died when I was 20. He was 68. Forty years have passed and memories fade. Hope to be reunited down the road a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry that you lost your Dad so young...it would be hard to have memories of him when you were that little...makes me think that I should be in contact with my Dad... sigh...

    ReplyDelete