Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sabotaging ourselves

Well I was going to post a message on self image and discovered I'd already done that. Then I thought okay how about negative self talk but I'd done that too. So look up the links above for good ideas on those topics in my earlier posts, and I'll try to tackle a new angle.

SABOTAGING is what we do to ourselves when we are trying to improve something we want to change. I've noticed in my community ed. class several negative ideas that keep surfacing. If we focus on ourselves, we are being selfish. We have to serve others and forget ourselves. But the question I have is how can we serve others if our well is dry, and we are filling ourselves with negative self talk?

I've introduced my comm. ed. students to an interesting technique I learned years ago for a workshop called Uprooting Stress I took from Ken and Sharon Patey. At the time I had 3 teenagers, a 2 year old at home and a depressed now former hubby, so I needed to deal with stress. They taught us how to unlayer or change your negative self talk that puts you in stress. One example of this would be the belief-I'm responsible for everyone's happiness. A common belief for women that causes them to overeat, have high blood pressure and not take care of themselves. The process goes like this. First write down all the reasons you believe this concept is true. Well, let's do it:

1. I am the heart of the home
2. Everyone relies on me for everything
3. If I weren't here, the family would fall apart, etc.

You get the idea, when you have exhausted that line of thinking-look at the other side. What says I'm not responsible for everyone's happiness.

1. They need to take responsibility for themselves.
2. I can't make everything all better.
3. I need to value myself, etc.

FINAL STEP-What's the TRUTH REALLY? I can only do so much, others will have to take responsibility for their own happiness. Then apply this new positive self talk in your life. TRY IT-IT WORKS.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent words. I'm a big 'pros and cons' list maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly believe everyone is responsible for his/her own happiness. Many times those who should be happy aren't, but those who have good reason to be unhappy are happy nonetheless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post and reminder for all of us. Every time I see that baby picture on the right, I smile. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lin, wow that's what God's been talking to me about in the last few weeks. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That'a a tough one considering the average woman's need to be needed. It sounds so reasonable to give up being the fixer/make everybody happy hub of the family. Wayne and I have done fairly well with that...he's a strong believer in personal responsibility. We've never had kids borrow money from us or want to move back home. But, I sure get that "letting the kids take up waaaaay to much of my time and energy" can be a bit detrimental to my development as an individual... sigh... I still do it, though. I think I have some yin and yang going on here.

    I kinda like being involved and needed on occasion. And I like still teaching them and being an influence on them. It gives me a great deal of personal satisfaction.

    I'll continue to work on it.
    Good post.... again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great words to ponder! And oh so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not talk kindly to myself often. This is a good reminder that I can't make everyone healthy and happy...

    ReplyDelete