Friday, February 5, 2010

Article #88 Finding a Career

During my years of growing up, I would find that my career choices would evolve as new interests developed. As a young child, I wanted to be a movie star or a telephone operator, but in high school that all changed. I loved math and science classes and excelled in my studies, so it was only natural when the call came for more American engineers after the Russian spudnik satellite developments that started the space race and the cold war, that I would consider going to college to study engineering. I don’t think I even knew what an engineer was, but my high school teachers encouraged me to become one. (Photo of me as an A&W carhop-a short lived career but a cute uniform.)

Unfortunately, my junior college teachers in 1958 weren’t as supportive as my high school instructors had been. I still remember a Physics 101 professor, on the first day of my college class, writing on the blackboards around the room the simple equation E=MC2. Then he proceeded to say: Even the girls in this class can understand this simple equation. Whether he was trying to be funny or not I never determined, but it made the three girls in my class of 35 physics students feel uneasy. Today it would be called sexual harassment. As I pursued my new engineering major, I found that college classes in math and science were much more competitive than in high school. I was discouraged to only earn a B or C grade after earning almost straight A’s in high school. After one semester in college, I was ready to look for a different career.

Taking ballet lessons had been a hobby I started in high school and loved. During junior college, I performed in many musical productions as well as in community theatre. Then came the opportunity to dance professionally and join a dancer’s union as a member of the Los Angeles City Ballet Company. Wow, this was almost like being a movie star, a career choice of mine earlier. The only problem was the entertainment world had different morals that I had. Being a very naïve young girl when I left high school, and feeling uncomfortable with theatre people, I left my ballet company. Determined to continue my college studies as a dance major at BYU, and become a professional dance teacher, I thought maybe I’d get married along the way. (Photo of me at Jr. College graduation in California.)

9 comments:

  1. Hi Lin - Sorry to hear about your fall! Hopefully you'll be back in dancing form in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how life takes twists and turns. Sometimes good and sometimes not so good. I believe my daughter was born knowing she was to be a nurse. She is a nurse today. Most of us don't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the twists and turns in life certainly are interesting!! What a change from an engineering major to a dance major!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting to think back about the small decisions we make and how they change our direction. I remember, vividly, my mother telling me I should be a teacher (I was 11 or 12) and I just laughed it off with a "No Way." Just look what I ended up doing.

    Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading about your earlier careers. It makes me see people in such a different way:) I really like seeing the pics too! Tell more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned bits and pieces about you over the last two years. This helps fill in some of the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous journey...very inspirational for me.There was a time in my country when our parents had all the rights to decide what we want to do in life,not anymore thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you didn't put the absolute need to get married first and did explore. That wasn't the usual way girls did things.. it was always getting married and having a family...

    ReplyDelete