Friday, December 10, 2010

Article #128 Leaving a Legacy

What is a legacy? It’s an inheritance or anything that’s handed down or remaining from a previous generation or time. You have a unique family heritage, traditions and values that were taught and followed by your ancestors, parents and grandparents. Important principles that passed on can aid your children and grandchildren to have better lives. How do you leave a legacy? With your example and counsel or advice given to your family in words and deeds.

Writing down the values that are important can help you to carefully preserve your legacy for descendents even those unborn. I know I am influenced even today by the life of my 3rd great grandfather who chose to emigrate from England to Utah for new opportunities and to practice his religion without prejudice in 1868. I’ve never met him but from reading his history, I’ve come to know him better. I carry his surname in my maiden name. As I visit his grave I feel closer to him because I know what he valued.

Teaching your posterity of their roots or interesting them in their family’s history can establish a grounding that will anchor them through life’s many storms. Knowing that your own family members have faced difficult challenges and overcame trials can be a strength. Our youth go to school to learn to read and write, do calculations and learn a trade. They also need to be taught about their family heritage at home. Old-fashioned values like honesty, hard work, and courage are some principles that need to be discussed as children are growing up in our modern world.

I challenge each of you if you haven’t collected your family’s history and stories to do so. Start today by sharing your childhood experiences of your parents and grandparents. Record on paper or computer your memories. Leave a legacy for your descendents to understand your family and its values better. “I can’t do that,” I hear you say. “Of course, you can. Unless your arm is broken, grab a pencil or a keyboard and just start. Don’t let those fearful voices inside your head stop you with their criticisms. Just do it! I promise you it will be well worth your time. Someone has to tell the stories of how your family faced life’s challenges, and it can be YOU.”

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post!!! I was thinking about the kind of legacy my husband and I will leave for future generations of ours. We've gone through some difficult trials and refuse to give up. I know when my mother just went through her bout of cancer alone, it makes me think if she can do it, I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've worked on our parents' legacy, but we haven't worked on our own. Your post makes me realize that we should record things about ourselves as well.
    Your granddaughters look like little angels all dressed in white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to get caught up with you. I'm sorry I have gotten behibd!!
    This is a good point and a tape recorder sometimes makes it easier to 'chat' with older folks. Have a great holiday, Lin with all of your family and friends. Now I must read back to see what you have been up to lately!

    ReplyDelete