Friday, October 24, 2008

Who can write?

I repeat, anyone can write...who believes they can. Interesting thought-having FAITH in yourself. If you believe you can, you can.

With my writer's wordshop that I teach, I have to remind everyone everytime as they begin to read their poems by starting with "I'm not a poet," to say instead "I'm here to learn." Isn't that what life is about? Trying new things, learning how by doing? I am not a poet in terms of rhymes and colorful descriptive language skills but I can express the deepest yearnings of my soul in words organized into what I loosely call "free verse." I'm learning and improving all the time-even getting paid money for my magazine articles.

Let me encourage you to try your hand at poetry or free verse or expressive writing. Start with a journal that no one else will see. Write what you feel, even if negative to give it expression and release it into the universe without acting on it. Writing will relieve stress and help you find YOU, the real you waiting to have a VOICE in the world. Which Dr. Covey defines as "Voice is unique personal significance-significance that is revealed as we face our greatest challenges and that makes us equal to them."

A quote from Stephen R. Covey about being a more effective person: "It is essential to know yourself before you decide what (work) you want to do." from his book The 8th Habit-From Effectiveness to Greatness, pg. 76. He was my Bishop back in 1961 at BYU before he had written all his best selling books. He changed my life forever as I had my first real spiritual experience under his leadership. But that's another story that I put in my life's story. Have you written your life story? Check out his free website for some great ideas or read his books available in most public libraries. Doesn't he look like Yoda the wise one from Star Wars?

4 comments:

  1. About Feed Jit...at the very bottom of the box, click on options, then click ignore my visits. That will stop your OWN visits from registering every time you visit your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..he does look like yoda!!! A note about Feedjit. I got rid of it after I read the privacy policy. I didn't want information of visitors to my blog to be used owned by a company and used as they see fit..

    http://feedjit.com/static/TOS.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many of us are convinced our stories aren't worth telling, that no one wants to hear them. How sad! A student said to me once, "No one important to me has died, my parents aren't divorced, so what can I write about?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been writing my life story. It was fun living it... but, even I'm bored reading it. I'll have to do some major re-writing. I promised myself there would be NO embellishment. Too bad. It would be a lot more fun it there were.
    Thanks for the info on Covey's web site. That'll be a great thing to become familiar with, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete