Friday, November 19, 2010

Article #125 Grandparenting

All my life I’d looked forward to becoming a grandmother. Because of my sons’ divorces and my oldest son not marrying until he was 35, it didn’t happen until I was 58 years old. I remember my own maternal grandmother who at age 40 welcomed me as her first grandchild, but wouldn’t let me call her “grandma” because she was too YOUNG. I called her “Auntie” instead. Well, I was more than ready to be called “grandmother” in my late fifties. (Surprise, my first grand children were twins and girls!)

My first grandchildren came miraculously as another son and his wife were unable to have their own children, so they adopted. What a blessing to suddenly have twin grand daughters 9 months old. I love being a grandparent, and do understand now why young people have the children. It's draining to try to keep up with two lively toddlers. I can only look on with amazement at their parents who seem to have unlimited energies and care for them 24/7. I guess I did that too when I was their age, with my own four sons.

More grandchildren have been added with six total now plus my 16 step grandchildren from my husband’s four daughters. That’s exhausting just to think of 21 descendents in all. One of my step grandsons is married, so it won’t be long now till we could be great grandparents. Life is definitely “what happens while you are making other plans.” (Photo with the now 12 year old twins Emilee and Heather, our youngest addition Lorien soon 1 years old and three boys-Nathan, Hakan and James.)

Now it’s the empty nest or retirement days. No longer needing to work to support ourselves, we have free time to pursue our hobbies and interests which include visiting family. Reflecting back on all that life has taught us, we try to counsel with our children through their challenges. It becomes clear why we are still here, to assist our family through this journey called “life.”

Grandkids are our reward for surviving as parents. They love us unconditionally. We can spoil them because we aren’t their parents. Disciplining them is not our job, just enjoying them. I remember my own grandparents with fondness. Now I know why. They always had time to listen to me and genuinely cared about my life, feelings and problems. Grandparents are enjoying the fruit of their labors as parents. For those without grandchildren, nieces and nephews can fill this same need as you become a beloved aunt or uncle.

5 comments:

  1. grand children bring so much love and happiness...enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to that day if I am lucky enough to have a grandchild...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, grandchildren are wonderful. And exhausting, and fun and loving, and the light of my life now in these "golden years".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh....
    We have only one! I'm grateful for her though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandparenting is an awesome privilege. I wrote a book for grandparents: Preparing My Heart for Grandparenting (for grandparents at any stage of the journey). You can learn more here: www.PreparingMyHeart.net. I affirm grandparents and include tips from other grandparents along with biblical wisdom.

    Happy grandparetning!
    (Grandma Tea, as I'm called)

    ReplyDelete