Thursday, May 28, 2009

Seeing past first impressions...

When we first meet someone, we form an impression of them that may or may not be true. In our church, we have a program where the men in twos go home teaching several families once a month and the women in twos visit teach several women also once a month. The purpose of these visits is to be shepherds of the flock, to give assistance, support and present a spiritual message. I've noticed how it takes time to get to really know the people we teach.

What we see in public or at church are the smiling best foot forward faces that we all put on. It is only by interacting and gaining trust with others that we come to truly know them-their heartaches, struggles and challenges. This month as I visit taught one of the ladies we see, she felt safe enough to share her heart and past hurts. That in turn, gave us as the teachers an opportunity to open our hearts and bond as friends. That process is quite interesting...making friendships. It requires that we first reach out and send value/love to another person and genuinely listen to them. TRUST and friendship is a by-product of taking the time to care about each other.

It's rare with our families to find those minutes to truly communicate in our fast paced lives and multimedia lives, but it's important as we patiently wait and pray for opportunities to talk heart to heart. Guess that's one reason why we have problems to humble us so we need each other and God who waits patiently for us to find time in our busy lives to approach Him with faith and trust. He will turn everything that we experience to our good. Reminds me of a scripture... Search diligently, be believing, and all things shall work together for your good. (D&C 90:24) A great promise!

4 comments:

  1. I think problems are great teachers and that when we are ready the teachers arrive! By God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friendship is a succulent piece of meat, indeed. But, it needs to be trimmed of the excess fat, marinated and kept simmering to bring out the full flavor...

    I'm pleased that one of the ladies under your stewardship recongized your soft heart and strong capacity to care and opened up to you. It will be a great blessing to you both.

    I do love those phone conversations
    emails and visits that allow me the necessary time with my hubby, my children, and other family members to sow more seeds of understanding with one another.

    Friends are one of the greatest of all gifts from God. You're so right about our responsibility to tend to them.

    Know that I wil forever and always treasure the friendship I have with you and am so grateful for the refreshment you so freely give to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't familiar with this so I was interested to learn about it. I am pretty open about how I feel about things and try to bring that out in others that I have contact with, but it isn't easy and you are right, it involves trust...
    Michelle From Rambling Woods

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very nice post, Lin. I really like it, gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete