Friday, May 1, 2009

Article #53-Finding Your Passion

It’s my anniversary––been writing this (Senior Sampler) column for a year now, and have found my retirement passion. Earlier in my life I focused on raising a family of four lively boys. My years as a mom (photo on left me with youngest son #4) left little time for hobbies, although I occasionally found time to research my genealogy. Now that I’m an empty nester, I enjoy visiting with my offspring, and find I have more free time for pursuing my lifelong passion for family history through publishing my ancestor’s stories and writing articles for columns, blogs, and magazines. 

Finding a passion or interest you enjoy can add richness and interest to your days whether you are able to make it into a livelihood or just a leisure activity. I was trying to recall if any of my immediate family members had a hobby. My dad had several––he was a ham radio operator, an amateur photographer which included developing and enlarging his own negatives, and a private airplane pilot (his license photo below). He also shared an interest in hunting and fishing with his dad and brother. Camping and cookouts were cherished outdoor activities enjoyed by his whole family.


My mom loved music and in her later years bought an electronic organ. She found delight in finally learning how to play her own tunes. Her mother (my grandmother-see photo below in Canada) loved to travel and see new places. She drove herself cross-country and loved taking the new passenger planes available in the last years of her life. The purpose of her traveling was always to visit family. My other grandmother enjoyed sewing and doing needlework while she watched TV so she didn’t feel that she was wasting her time in the evening hours. I have one of her quilt tops that I finished and gave to my mom one Mother’s Day. Each piece of material in the quilt has a story behind it. One piece was made from cloth used to make a housedress, another a useful apron, etc.

Spare time to pursue hobbies or talents was a rare commodity for our parents and grandparents as they used all their time just to put food on the table. Recreational activities were few and far between for them, although they used holidays and family celebrations to gather together and enjoy each other’s company. They would have loved to have more breaks from every day activities to pursue their individual talents and hobbies. What’s your passion?

6 comments:

  1. This was really interesting about all the hobbies they had. It made me think if my folks had any and I guess they did but my dad let many go as he aged and my mom picked more up. My passion is writing of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clean microwave. No Wait... that's an obsessive compulsion.

    Passionate. What am I passionate about? Man! You always ask these questions that make me put the cerebral regions to work.

    Leaving a legacy for my family. Not of "things"... but, of testimony and truth and a sure knowledge of each individual's personal worth and place in this world, and the next. I want to leave behind memories that will warm them, bring them laughter, comfort and courage when they need it.

    I want to have each person I meet walk away feeling a little bit better about themselves.

    I want to leave a trail of beauty and an atmosphere of serenity wherever my feet have carried me.

    I guess that would be my passion since nothing else seems quite as important to me... or takes up as much of my time, energy, and resources.

    Your post today is another little miracle, Lin. You awake thought and renewed resolve in me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful every day for the time and freedom I have to pursue what takes my fancy! I enjoyed your perspective on passion, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many hobbies - gardening, sewing, traveling,blogging, TV, politics, reading, keeping in touch with family and friends. But to use the word PASSION, I would have to apply it to my love of the outdoors, whether it's watching things grow in the garden, enjoying the changes of seasons, traveling to natural wonders, or taking a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding passion is a legacy in your family. There is meaning in all we do and most especially in those things about which are hearts are on fire.

    My passion: my daughter and the 235 other kids who are all mine five days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My passion..you know that one..next to family and friends, it is everything outside..I am lucky to have the time to enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete