Monday, May 18, 2009

Inspiration

Interesting how two individuals can sit side by side in the same meeting, lecture or concert and while one person is moved to tears, the other is bored or asleep. We are each certainly different from every other person in the universe. What a challenge that makes for real communication. Something I always seem to be longing for, is to be understood and appreciated for my real authentic self and honest feelings. True friends are gems not easily found and too little appreciated. It seems that I've always been blessed to have a close girl friend or two to share ME with when needed at crucial times in my life...especially when I got divorced and then faced life alone as a single parent.

I'd like to mention a special friend of mine that lives far away in Sweden and that I only met through my ex-husband who is from there also. (See photo above l-r Gittan and me taken 16 years ago.) We immediately sensed a connection this friend of mine and for probably 25+ years we have share our lives first through transatlantic letters that were sooo slow, then visiting in person in USA and in Sweden, expensive telephone calls, then came the Internet and emails, the invention of Skype where we can see each other and talk for free. She is my friend Gittan or Birgitta-my sister in spirit. Happy birthday to her last week.

7 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to have those friends that bring so much into our lives; friends who share, who listen, who laugh and when necessary, cry with us. Lovely post and tribute to your good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing quite like a girlfriend who knows you very well, and is trustworthy. I, too, am blessed.
    That would be my posts about Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean, of course. There's nothing like a friend who can sense what you're feeling and know exactly what you mean. Happy birthday to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool story. It's great to have friends who last a lifetime. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so true..that first comment. Why is it that if I am myself, people go nutso. Why does the world have to take everything as an offense. Why do so few people see joy is a joking, silly person. Why all so serious. I hate that in people. I don't care if they are different but why not see me for who I am and through who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Lin, you said exactly what I would like to say to you! You have been there for me during all these years, and have always given me the encouragement I needed to proceed in faith. It was so good to see your face again on Skype the other day, and I thought of how much I love you and how grateful I am that we have this technical means to communicate. I too remember our weekly letters which took 8-9 days to arrive. Thank you for remembering me on my 68th birthday! And thank you to your other friends for their greetings! With lots of love, Gittan

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely tribute, Lin. Good friends are a rare treasure, so glad you and your friend can still keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete