Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dangers on the Web

There was talk given to youth ages 18-30 recently by a leader in our Mormon church Apostle David A. Bednar about the dangers of cyberspace. He recalled that one of the reasons we are here on earth is to gain a physical body and learn to discipline and use it. But through technology...we are minimizing the importance of our body and neglecting eternal relationships for digital distraction, diversions and detours that have no lasting value.

All one has to do these days is read the news or observe the addicting effect of excessive video gaming or online socializing. There is value in technology but we need to balance it with values, goals and interaction with other humans face to face. He continues...to be aware of the sense-dulling and spiritually destructive influence of cyberspace technologies that are used to...promote degrading and evil purposes. That can lead to a disconnect from the physical body by becoming so immersed and engrosssed in pixels, texting, ear-buds, twittering, online social networking and potentially addictive uses of media...that you fail to recognize the importance of your physical body and the richness of person-to-person communication.

I think what he is really talking about is using wisdom, control and having balance in our lives in regards to the use of media. I know one friend of mine said recently that her husband has started taking an old sheet on summer campouts to hang on a tree to show videos and films to watch  at night powered from their RV camper rather than just sitting around the campfire and visiting, singing songs or roasting marshmellows. We are loosing our abilities to relate to each other in person as we type away our lives looking at a computer screen. Certainly something to think about. And don't even get me started about mindless computer or video games that too many individuals of all ages spend their precious life's time and energies on while ignoring the people like family that surround them. 

What's your opinion? 

9 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Lin. Every time I see a young person out with his/her family with ear buds hanging from their ears, I want to pull them out and tell the parents to engage him/her in conversation. I saw a boy (maybe 10 years old) in a grocery story with his mother and he had a portable video game, playing it the whole time. I didn't hear a word exchanged.

    I am worried about our y generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here! Here!

    And it's not just young people, either. Male and female, all ages, all walks of life seem to be more connected to their cell phones than they are to the people who's company they're in.

    I can tell you as a realtor that my clients have come to expect that I should be available 24/7. There is no longer such a thing as business hours. Everyone is at everyone elses beck and call, night and day, week-ends, and while vacationing in Southern Italy. It's inconsiderate to believe that anyone should be at your service 10:30 p.m., during Sunday dinner, or while driving the eastern seaboard on a family getaway.

    Portable video games also drive me crazy! My 12 year old grandson will come for a visit at the Hollow. He either want to have one of those contraptions in his hand, or he's at my computer trying to advance to level 17 on some heavy weapons infested game. I've set some hard rules in my house about how much time can be spent on those activities. I know his dad has set the same rules at home. But, he still tries to sneak in as much time on them as he can get away with.

    DVD players in the car are another thing. They do keep kids entertained and quieter than they might otherwise be... but, they also keep any and all conversation from taking place... they don't allow an opportunity for kids to enjoy the country you're traveling through, for their parents to teach them and share experiences of their youth with them... and they're noisy and can be distracting to the driver and inhibit discussion taking place between those in the front seat. I sort of miss the nonsensical, silly games we used to play in the car... and the incessant questions flying at us from the back seat.

    Ahhhh well. If I remember right, I used to complain that my kids constantly reading had many of the same ill effects on interpersonal relationships. A couple of them read in the car, walking thru the aisles in the grocery store, at the beach. My daughter and youngest son tried to sneak books into church now and then. My 12 year old grandson is a flashlight under the covers reader as well. I'm more lenient with the written word than I am with electronics... but, I do like to see kids read a variety of authors and topics. He's sort of stuck in the wizards, dragons, magic and fanstasy genre.
    I try and steer him to other works. He actually read The Animal Farm... understood most of it, and liked it.

    I'll listen to a child talk forever to tell me about a book he's read, or a dream he's had, or an adventure he enjoyed with a pal. But, I don't listen more than 20 seconds to how many zylacons he slaughtered getting to the next level on his game boy.

    Boy... you just can't ask some people a question without them thinking they should blather on and on answering it, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no substitute for balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I know that if it wasn't raining here non-stop today, I would be outside working in my garden. I love technology, but it can't replace "living".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. Lin. You are so right about..."mindless computer or video games that too many individuals of all ages spend their precious life's time and energies on while ignoring the people like family that surround them."

    What is the answer? I think it has to start while kids are young - with definite boundaries on the time and quality of the technology kids are allowed to engage in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh..children don't know about or appreciate the ability to entertain themselves outside..It makes me very sad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lin, I enjoyed your post on this hot topic. I too find it disturbing how 'sense-dulling' excessive technology has on our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you totally on this, Lin. I also have to balance my blogging with what should be done with the rest of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that this is a major concern. And I'd add to the list of addictive technology the cell phone. I'm amazed at the number of people I see out and about with a phone to their ears, oblivious to life around them but focused on the phone conversation. And those who talk on cell phones while driving are downright frightening.

    ReplyDelete