Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Solving Problems

Well, at least you can say that life always presents you with interesting problems to solve. Driving home we were in Missoula, Montana when our Subaru's front car wheel starting making extreme screaming sounds. We stopped immediately to see what was happening. Then not seeing anything wrong we tried to call AAA American Automobile Association but they put us on hold over 15 minutes while we are sitting by the side of the freeway wondering if Missoula was going to be our unplanned destination for the next day or so. Well, finally a person came on the phone and said "I'll have to transfer you, this is the California AAA." So after a shorter wait for the Montana AAA, a tow truck was on its way. Come to find out the very experienced driver knew at once what the problem was, we had a rock stuck in our wheel from the chip sealing they were doing on the freeway. He had us back up our car then drive forward a couple of times and like magic, the problem was solved without any towing back to town or auto repairs. What a relief, which brings me to my topic today of solving problems. How do we do it? Here's some ideas or suggestions.

1. Don't panic or let your emotions rule, push the pause button.
2. Think, analyze the situation-can you fix it or do you need outside help? (A little prayer never hurts.)
3. If not fixable by yourself, call in others with more expertise.
4. Be patient, learn from the experience.

I am now having that opportunity of #4-relearning to use my old computer which won't for some reason allow me to add photos or clipart to my blog but I'll try to add some with my husband's computer later.

Tell me about a problem you had and how you solved it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad it wasn't a serious problem that required expensive repairs and delays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it just profound 'joy' when a problem turns out to be easily fixed? It is for me: my 'Ziggy complex' has me lean toward thinking that unexpected things happen often!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That being patient part is hard for me. I do love AAA also. They've gotten us out of quite a few jams, thank goodness.

    I'm frustrated with my computer right now, too. I'm having to use dial up and it's soooo slow that that I'm nearly jumping on my seat. We signed up for Hawaiiantel high speed but it we won't be able to start until next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somebody gave me a "computer repair" kit when I was working at a dentist's office in St George. I love it. It was an old alarm clock with a stick of dynamite taped to it. Counds about right! I've been mightely tempted on more than one occasion! So, have I eradicated all need to tell you that patience is not one of my greater virtues?

    I have a tendency to ignore problems, even small ones, until I need to call in an expert to help dig me out of the mess... or they dissipate, dissolve, or otherwise disappear.

    ReplyDelete