Saturday, May 3, 2008

Time to Journal

Just discovered www.ldsjournal.com it's a great new free website online where you can share your thoughts privately with a username and password that only you know. They even remind you daily via e-mail to write in your journal if you haven't. Since I already write daily therapuetic journals, I decided to make my LDS Journal the place where I write my spiritual thoughts. Kind of like the small plates of B of M. It can be printed out later and you can add photos or just delete it-if you want to.

We were talking the other day in my Writers WORDshop about having privacy in writing your journal so you can face your fears and thoughts, work through situations without worrying about others later finding your journal will wonder what you were thinking. Here's what I wrote today in my LDS journal:
Don't let the important things of life pass by you instead, find joy in the journey now. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Tell a relative you love them. Write a letter to an old friend and make peace with old quarrels. Everyone has heartbreaks and sorrows. Each one of us experiences dark days, but without opposition, no one would learn and grow. Trials build patience, faith, fortitude and humility. Life's challenges buildup our character, purify our hearts and expand our souls. With women doing so much for others, they need to acknowledge their worth especially during those times when they may be feeling inadequate or ineffective. Pause occasionally and reflect on all that you do and have done. (Pres. Monson at Women's Conference at BYU yesterday)
The question I have for you is...Why do we women always put ourselves down, rather than just basking in the joy of another new day?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know, Lin. I find that so odd. I don't see that most men do that... but, maybe they do and they're just better at hiding their insecurities. I have noticed how often women have difficulty accepting a compliment... how often they think of themselves in matters of what pant size they wear, how well their children are doing in school, what type of income their husband has... always someting outside of themselves, their souls. Yet, I truly believe that women are the ones that make the world turn.

    I know that I'm truly enjoying getting older. The body seems to be caving in at an alarming rate... but, I am so much more at peace with myself. I find that I need less validation from others than I used too. Encouragement is NOT what I mean here. But, I remember the sad, so unsure of myself years, when I decorated my house because I thought someone else might like it. I wore clothes that I thought other women would like. AND I only expressed thoughts that I thought other people would agree with.

    I've gotten beyond that and it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we put ourselves down because we want to be the first to do so. the world is always ready to jump on us so why don't we beat them to the punch...then the hurt doesn't hurt so badly.

    ReplyDelete