Saturday, February 6, 2010

Love of Learning

Read a great article lately about love of learning reminds me of my patriarchal blessing given long ago in 1960 that encouraged me to learn all things so I can develop to my potential...that's quite a challenge considering I was graduating then from college. Life has many things to teach us and they aren't all learned in the classroom. How to learn from each experience whether negative or positive is important.

I like to ask questions that helps me learn new things. I love teachers who are enthusiastic about their topics be it computers, photography, rock art or theology. You're never too old to learn new things or to teach others. My son Daniel who started me with computers chuckles when I tell him I've teaching others all I know.

There is no limit to what we can still learn at any age or with any limitations be they: physical, spiritual, social, intellectual or emotional. All that stops us is our lack of curiousity, wanting to learn more about this world. You can teach old dogs new tricks IF they want to learn and make the effort.

Some things I am studying now are: POETRY how to rhyme and use rhythm to make words more interesting for children and others; DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY-taking photos and editing them, then using them to write about; DIETING-becoming a healthier me through exercise and food choices; RELATIONSHIPS- how to connect with family members better; and WRITING-capturing the past in words, celebrating life through blogging and making new friends.

I still want to TRAVEL more, see new sights and meet new people. HOW ABOUT YOU?

8 comments:

  1. I've been chasing knowledge all my life. I'm never master of anything, but know a little about a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used the term "life long learner" to describe what we wanted our students to become when I was teaching. It was, and still is my goal too.
    Currently I'm leaning new things about sewing and serging, I'm always learning about new plants and gardening, photography and photo editing, computer skills. My favorite is learning about world history and geography and geology through travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always tried to explain that to my students. I'm still learning just like they are. I was in my 50s when I went back to college to get my masters degree. It keeps us young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin,
    I love your enthusiasm. You encourage me in many ways.

    May I suggest American poet Mary Oliver's poetry handbooks? She is an awesome teacher as well as writer. You might like her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know more about digital photography. I seem to have found solace in it, as well as wanting to become a better photographer and I love to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a very curious person and happy to put that to some good use. I want to take a photography class. Maybe online would be better for me....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to learn to play the drums!! Almost bought a kit so I could but then knew I wouldn't have time with the new job. But learning lots there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, and I love the visual additions which capture my eye immediately. I enjoy a curiosity about life and love to learn.

    ReplyDelete