Friday, May 9, 2008

Mother's Day

Prepare for the annual Mother’s Day
That one holiday of the year when
All females who have children dread
Because of all the focus and attention
We are suddenly given for doing
Only that that has to be done

Feeding, cleaning, shopping, loving
Nurturing, disciplining, teaching,
More feeding, cleaning and shopping
Not the fun kind but for food supplies
Which are then consumed quickly
Leaving myriads of dirty dishes
To deal with or get into the dishwasher
Laundry and then more laundry

So what makes parenting and its demands
Especially Mother’s Day so frustrating
Probably because we aren’t perfect
We’d love to be and have perfect kids
Or grandkids but it isn’t going to happen
Not in this life with free agency abounding
And rebellion starting earlier than the teens

All you can do is accept the wilting carnation
With grace, look forward to the empty nest
That day when you will miss all these years
As you watch your kids struggle as parents
Enjoy your day of attention, you deserve it
We all do despite our imperfections
Don't forget to give thanks for your mother

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh.. another if only. If only she were here to buy a gift for, and to drive the distance for a week-end visit with her. If only...

    I'll try to be gracious at church, but, I really don't like Mother's Day programs. They always sound like they're talking to and/or about someone else. They make me uncomfortable and a little sad.

    I used to wonder how much I'd miss fingerprints all over the house. truth? I don't miss them at all.

    But... strangely enough, I do miss always and forever being out of milk and toilet paper. I also miss the constant chatter, shreiking and laughter that used to drive me crazy, I miss sitting on the heater under blankets and reading a dozen books, popcorn fights, and hearing the back door slam 20 minutes after school let out. I don't believe the three most treasured words in the english language are a whispered, "I love you"... I think they're a hollered, "Mom, I'm home". Watching my two grown children with babes of their own... and watching my five children with one another as adults who respect, deeply love and take care of each other is sweeter than ambrosia. That's the only tribute I want on Mother's Day. Five happy children.

    Enjoyed your thoughts, Lin.

    ReplyDelete