Tuesday, March 16, 2010

RITUALS

I was reading an article about RITUALS in our everyday lives which got me to reflecting on daily practices I have now:

1. SEEKING INSPIRATION -I find that I try to always have a prayer in my heart and be open to guidance from above that can come at odd moments-impressions to do something OR not do something are important to follow. Opening doors of opportunity to grow and serve others can come this way. Reading SCRIPTURES before the local newspapers also helps focus me on my day in a good way.

2. BLESSINGS/PRAYERS on our food before eating it, reminds me who provides us with sustenance both physical and spiritual. It also gives hubby and me the opportunity to jointly unite our pleas for safety and guidance for our children and their families daily.

3. CHURCH ATTENDANCE- is my gift to God showing that He is remembered on His special day as He has commanded us to do mostly for our benefit, not His. I need the spiritual food that comes from lessons and talks given, sacrament vows renewed and interacting with other believers of like mind. Monthly attendance at the temple also reminds me of my purpose in life.

4. PHYSICAL SELF CARE- I can't survive without my daily shower, maintenance of my hair and makeup, and clean clothes that helps me feel good and starts my day with GRATITUDE for a home, hot running water, soap and electricity-all those things we tend to take for granted.

5. INTERACTING with FAMILY and FRIENDS-whether directly face to face or by cell phone, Internet or letters. I could do better in this area with some of my family members. Taking opportunities to socialize with others and celebrate our CONNECTIONS.

6. CREATIVITY- every day has to be filled with some WRITING, expressing my feelings and thoughts about life. Creating my VOICE with the written WORD. Journaling and blogging is part of this.

7. EXERCISING my PHYSICAL BODY is so important, going on a walk interacting with nature and the beauties of this world always clears my mind. Preparing and planning nutritious meals takes time but is necessary. I'm still focused on loosing weight and becoming healthier.

8. DEVELOPING NEW TALENTS- exploring serendipity and opportunities that are present in each day.

9. LEARNING from my FAILURES and SUCCESSES- journaling and blogging helps me feel whole each day.

10. Not FORGETTING my ANCESTORS- preserving my legacy and connection with extended family through genealogy, publishing their histories and writing poetry about their lives so they are not forgotten.

What are some important RITUALS in your life? Tell us why in your comment.

10 comments:

  1. One of my rituals is to think daily of how very fortunate I am in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to the news on the radio in bed before getting up, so I know if there is any big story of the day, and to get the weather report.
    I check emails and Facebook right before or after my shower.
    Then I put on my jacket and clogs and take a walk down our driveway to get the newspaper, catch the air on my face, listen to the sounds, check in with the out door world. Then my day has begun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I can certainly relate to most of your rituals. The exercise thing is something I really need to make MORE of a ritual. I find that the hardest of maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of what you say about blessing our food and the world that brings it to us. Beautiful.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post, Lin. The list is a great one and I love each and every one of them...very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the rituals i am failing to keep up with is my blogging and visiting my blogger friends at a regular basis,since i joined back my practice.But i will work this out...you inspire me to do so.Thanks LIN.

    ReplyDelete
  7. time factor keeps me away from so many rituals that i would have otherwise liked to do. but i would try harder to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lin...I was here. Not sure I can post an answer about my daily rituals that are other than keeping Flo comfortable, healthy, happy, and loved. Mix in some volunteering so that I get out, and that's it.

    ReplyDelete