Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Nativity Activity


Bought a cute figurine set today that I'll use to act out the nativity story with my grand kids. The set made in China of course includes Joseph and Mary, baby Jesus, a shepherd, three wisemen, an angel and three farm animals. Don't you think the Savior deserves at least equal time with Santa Claus on Christmas eve? After all, it is His birthday celebration. So how do you incorporate the reason for the season? I used to do a puppet nativity set or flannel board story with my sons when they were young and now I'm trying to continue something with my grandkids. Each year I've bought them a new book to read on Christmas eve about this special event the whole world celebrates in one way or another.

Even those cultures who don't believe in Christ embrace the commericalism and traditions of the season. It is a day of love and remembering our family and friends with gifts from the heart. I'm still finishing up some of my family history gifts-should be done tonight...Are you ready for Christmas? It's more than just having presents bought and wrapped, have you taken time to contemplate the wonder of the simple story that is so powerful that it has persisted through thousands of years. He was born and lived a wonderful exemplary life for us to follow. Merry Christmas to my readers and blogging friends!

6 comments:

  1. Good morning Lin, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Nativity and focusing on the birthday of our Lord Jesus. Totally agree!

    You asked what we've been doing to prepare (our hearts).... This year I've been following an Advent daily meditation with thoughts written by Henri Nouwen.

    Growing up, Christmas Eve was the highlight of Christmas. We'd have our annual Sunday School program, where we got all dressed up and recited poems and sang the carols about the Christmas story. I still miss that tradition as many churches don't do that anymore (it's often held earlier in the month, which to me loses the impact).

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I wish you a very Happy Christmas -- may it be merry and bright as we celebrate this wondrous event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're ready and waiting for Christmas. We just have to wait a bit longer this year. But Christmas will come, because it is not just a day, it's a season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught some incredible music on the way to work this a.m.--Greensleeves on flute and harp--and the sheer joy and light of it said Christmas to me in a way little else has this year. It was a delight.

    We have four nativities up in our tiny house. You can't turn around without seeing the love of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a very Merry Christmas Lin to you and your whole family..-Michelle-

    ReplyDelete