Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Western Texas


















Flat horizons that go on forever
Hundreds of roads cross the land
Passing by oil wells, quiet windmills
Ranches, farms and abandoned towns
That tell stories of the oil boom days 
Cowboys and trucks are everywhere



















Live oak trees that don't lose their leaves
Cactus, mesquite and pecan trees, 
Raccoons, opossums, deer and goats
Share the range with long horn steers
An occasional road runner rushes by
This state has it all, only Alaska is bigger



















We are in Texas, the long star state
Birthplace and home of my husband
Welcome back ya all, and stay awhile.




















9 comments:

  1. I like Texas. I lived there for a long time and I still have family and friends there. But dang, I hate those looooong hot summers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lord, does that look familiar! I grew up in a little West Texas town called Monahans, about 230 east of El Paso, near Dubyah's Midland. Needless to say, I don't brag about that. Flat and endless and hot in the summer, surprisingly cold in the winter. Yep, think I'll stay where I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never remember seeing a picture of Texas that I really thought was pretty. Lots of Nevada is pretty barren...but they have the High Sierra's which are gorgeous. Lot's of Utah is stark...but we have rich red rock meshed with ferdant green valleys, and there again, breathtaking mountains. California is a lot of crowded city. But it has an incredible coastline, pine covered mountains, wine country, and an abundance of productive agricultural land that stretches on forever. But, everything I've seen of Texas looks pretty much like a wasteland.
    My sister-in-law tells me that there's a little town called Mineral Wells that's kind of pretty. If you see something to prove her right and change my mind, take a snapshot and share, okay?

    This has been a great trip for you guys. You've covered a lot of territory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos and thoughts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, that is some awesome trip across West Texas, if your air conditioner is working in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oaks that don't lose their leaves creates for me an image of endurance and wonder. Thanks for bringing us on this trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been there..It's so nice that you get to travel around seeing all these interesting places...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops..that was me saying that it was nice that you get to travel...

    ReplyDelete