Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Editing is...

We met as a writer's WORDshop yesterday and edited our rough draft of our booklet for hopefully the final time. Now it goes to our artist in residence Mary to work her magic. I asked the seven women at the class today what they were learning from the editing process and here are two of their answers.

Perfection is a process. Poems can always be improved. Individuals have their own style. It's a lot of work. It's nice to have a computer, a compiler, an illustrator and a husband who helps...comments from Wilma (who is very sweet Relief Society President and writes fun and humorous poems.)

My thoughts are to not betray your inner self and the essence of your poem or free verse trying to please some one. I have learned to say the same thing in fewer words. Also to leave something to the imagination of the reader. Let them think about what you might mean and then they will possibly find meaning for themselves. This can be taken to the extreme to the point that no one can possibly fathom what you may be trying to say so that is a caution here. I've read poems that are like that...says Leah (who writes thought provoking poetry full of images.)

It seems to me editing relates to how we live our lives also. What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing and I suspect that you are right. Just another interesting side of us as humans and how we deal with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm...something interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll always remember the Hallmark movie, Sarah Plain and Tall, where Sarah talks about the letters Jacob used to send before she came to the prairies to live. She said she liked what he wrote, but it was what was between the lines that she liked best.

    Of course little Caleb wanted to know what that meant....which makes me also think that sometimes the things we 'don't' say can be as revealing as the things we do. Could that be the life editing you're talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think editing requires ruthless compassion with oneself, Lin. Go for the best in yourself. I am always thunderstruck by folks who have read someone else's work for, oh, two or four minutes, and presume to tell them how to make it "better." Humility is essential to editing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Editing is very important. It is not about style, it's about proper grammar and spelling words correctly.

    It's about verb tense, punctuation, and the other areas of editing and grammar.

    I am serious about my editing and sending it off to professionals with pay! I pay them to edit my work.

    It is the core of our writing future and our writing reputation.

    "Writing Style" is different than improper grammar.

    Editing and providing a polished book is truly the reputation of your "writing life."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read somewhere once that an artist is never satisfied with the result, no matter how many drafts it has gone through. Wasn't it Van Gogh who was known to walk into the museum with a paint brush to touch up his works on display?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter says that sometimes I should "edit" more of what I say... LOL...

    ReplyDelete