Thursday, November 6, 2008

Article #29 To All Veterans

In remembrance of all veterans, I’d like to share this poem about draft dodgers that my grandmother sent in a letter to her youngest son Weston. (Photo of me and my uncle Weston.) He had enlisted in the army and was stationed in the South Pacific during World War II. I found the poem in her letters she wrote to him more than sixty years ago. It was still carefully preserved by him. 

The poet is unknown but the sentiments express well the frustration of mothers whose sons were off facing danger everyday in the heart of battle, while other local young men had been able to escape the draft through some ruse or another and were safely at home living the good life. The family of active combat soldiers lived in dread of the telegram or knock on the door at any moment that would notify them that their son, husband or father was wounded, missing or killed in action.

DRAFT DODGER
By Unknown

I am writing this short letter
And every word is true;
Don’t look away, draft dodger
For it’s addressed to you.
You feel at ease and in no danger
Back in the old home town;
You cooked up some pitiful stories
So the draft board would turn you down.
You never think of the real men
Who leave here, day by day;
You just think of their girl friends
Whom you’ll get when they’re away.

So sit at home and read the papers,
Then jump up and say we’ll win:
Just where do you get that “we” stuff––
This war will be won by men!
What do you think now, draft dodger,
That this great nation would do
If all of our men were slackers,
And afraid to fight––like you?
Well, I guess that’s all Mr. Slacker,
(I suppose your face is red?)
America’s no place for your kind
And it’s true, every word I’ve said.
So in closing this short letter,
Just remember what I say:
Keep away from my girl, I warn you,
‘Cause I’m coming back some day!

6 comments:

  1. Great poem! thanks for sharing it. The same applies to a lot of things these days -- it's always easier to hide out until it becomes clear that you stand to benefit from battles those with more courage have fought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an imaginative and creative poem. I could feel every emotion the author put forth. Thanks for sharing, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun and yet sad poem. Thank yo for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem. It seems to express the feelings of so many servicemen and their families during a time of war. How hard it must have been for a mother to watch a young "D.D." enjoying a hamburger and shake with his girlfriend after losing her own son in battle. Or for a soldier to return from the jaws of hell that he faced in war ravaged lands to find his sweetheart on the arm of some guy who'd stayed home and made a little cash while be was slogging through the mud listening to the screams of pals whose bodies had been ripped apart by schrapnel.

    It is a poignant bit of poetry indeed. You always come up with the most interesting stuff! What a treasure trove you've gathered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God we no longer have the draft. World War II may have been a righteous war, if there is such a thing, but during Viet Nam, I would have sent my son to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hated the draft during the Viet Nam war but sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be more fair. So many young people join the armed services because it is the only way they can get an education or have a decent job. So the poor and middle class pay the price for defending our country while the wealthy avoid...just thinking aloud...

    ReplyDelete