Sunday, January 6, 2013

Article #228 The Tests


             Living in a retirement community, I'm always amazed by the individuals I have the opportunity to get to know. At first glance, it's easy to form a quick opinion: i.e. successful retired person from Northern Utah or California, happily married 50 or more years, lots of grandchildren. Later as I get to know my neighbors better, I learn more about their lives. I'm amazed at the tests many, if not all of them, have faced during their lifetime: health issues, childless, never married or lost children in their youth who died or became addicted to drugs, alcohol or divorce. The list could go on and on.
            Yet they carry on with their lives with a brave smile and hope in their hearts. I see them as the WINNERS of the personal battles or the testS that we all will face during our lifetime. It may be the death of a family member, a lost job, broken friendships, disappointments, cancer or physical disabilities or all of these challenges. We all need each other's support and love especially within families to carry on plus loyal friends at our side. Prayers from our hearts for each other's welfare will strengthen both the giver and the receiver. It keeps HOPE alive!
            It’s amazing how much you can observe others and make assumptions about their lives. Most individuals are wonderful examples of courage and fortitude when the unexpected challenges come. A few seem to be burdened and depressed by problems within their own families. Many hide their grief. It’s shocking when someone you know tries to take their life by suicide or escape through drugs, alcohol or other means.
            One of the biggest tests of our busy modern society is making family and personal relationships a priority in your daily life while trying to live with optimism, trusting in a higher power and a purpose for life. Too many of your fellow travelers during their journey on earth are drowning in addictions, despair and lack of meaning or direction in their lives. Reach out today to help others; it will lift your spirits. Be someone else’s cheerleader rather than their critic, especially your own family and spouse. Count your blessings, if you are lucky enough to have someone by your side to share your daily walk. It’s time to resolve to be a better person this year. NEXT TIME: Loneliness

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lin...your post hit home for me. I have met lots of people through my life and I also am sometimes judgemental on what I see...how they live, how they feel, what they think, and what they expect out of life makes me quite judgemental. Yet once I "really" get to know them, I find out their life has been molded by their pain and grief. illness, hardship, loss of children, no money, no education or too much money they can't liquidate fast enough. Not counting their lack of understanding and a lack of the Lord in their lives which keeps them in the dark. I admire those that overcome many difficult times, they are sure winners as you mentioned. Some of them have overcome more then I could even imagine. Either way I wish I could help them but you can only help them so far, they need to learn on their own. Unfortunately at their age memories is all they have. I then realize I am blessed and grateful for the small blows life has offered me.For my grief and problems are only small pebble stones I can push aside with my feet and the memories I planted in my heart...I'm sure they have also.

    ReplyDelete