Sunday, July 31, 2011

Article #160 Binding Your History

Depending on the length of your story, I would recommend including the following in your bound book in this order: (1) a title page with the title, author’s name (you), place of publication, name of printer, and date printed; (2) a preface or dedication page-optional; and (3) a table of contents with page numbers for various chapters or parts-optional. All of these pages can be numbered i, ii, iii, etc. then comes (4) the actual story starting with page number 1, 2, 3, etc.; (5) an Appendix-optional for extra materials or photos not wanted in the main body of the story; and (6) an Index-optional but helpful for those who want to look up certain people or events in your history. (Many word processing programs will make an index for you.)

Now comes the fun part taking the information from your title page and designing your cover. You’ll probably need help with this project. Your cover should entice the reader to want to read the history. A catchy title helps and a photograph of the person or other artwork usually works nicely. Don’t forget your name as the author. Generally I use the same title page that I put in my book, but with a photo added with a border around it. Many copy centers will help you with ideas for cover designing.

A decorative cover can be printed in different ways. I have never published any of my books as hard-bound copies with a stiff cover and sewn pages. It’s just too expensive. I prefer paperback books with a cardstock cover-front and back, sometimes covered with clear plastic sheets. For my “Family Home Evening Book for Empty Nesters and Singles,” I took colored photos of several FHE groups and made a collage frame for the title with a soft yellow background. Then some clipart was added from http://www.clipart.com.

















As for binding, I prefer coil, but there are other options: (see above l-r) velo, tape, perfect bound. coil, and stapling. Check with your printer or copy center for prices and availability. Perfect bound gives you a professional looking final product like a glued paperback. Your manuscript should be 65-100 pages to use this last type of binding. You can lengthen your story by only printing on one side rather than double sided. Work with your copy center to get the look you want. It’s all your preference.

3 comments:

  1. Our story is a tactile experience, too. Thanks for this post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha... I've got a post scheduled to come up tomorrow about how we put our book together. I finally found a reasonably priced copy center. Sheesh! I wish I knew about this place before I did my mother's family genealogy.

    ReplyDelete