Sunday, November 9, 2008

I made a book!

Well, let's say I'm in the process of making a book. It's in a very rough draft stage but coming along. It took me four plus hours of concentrated work on my computer yesterday to reorganize the poems so I could print them off two per page and back to back and have the page numbers come out in order when it's folded-that's not easy. I didn't think I could do it but talked myself into trying after taking my file to a copy center today and the computer tech kid couldn't figure out how to do it on his store's printer.

So I came home, took 15 sheets of scratch paper 11 X 8.5 inch which I folded in half then numbered the pages starting with one and continuing as if it were the finished book. Then I opened the sheets out and stacked them on top of each other and proceeded to rearrange my computer file with the poems in the order they would be printed out on the individual sheets before being assembled. It worked-I'm amazed. Guess my major in math in Jr. College came in handy. But it was a lot of work, guess learning always is.

Thanks, Caryn for your encouragement and for my Writer's WORDshop group of eight women that have been meeting since last September and writing lots of free verse poems. We've learned lots and developed strong friendships along the way. Now to proof the book, add artwork by my friend Mary also in the group, print it off, assemble them and give 200 copies out in December to the women of our church's Relief Society. Whew!

11 comments:

  1. What a great project! You should be proud of it! Several years ago I belonged to a writer's group in Oregon and enjoyed it so much. So I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your visit and comment. Glad you're enjoying your book project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun and hard work, too. I did a cookbook for my son's school and I used the programs that were available within my computer and MS word.

    So, it was a little easier for me. You should share a poem with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so wonderful. The book looks great, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thin k you just proved once again that when there is a will, there is a way.
    Congratulations on this accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project! Printing booklets is a tough task. Looks like you have a great product!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations mom! isn't it great.. that feeling of accomplishment... I am impressed but not surprised. I admire your passion for what you do...
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's looking wonderful already... even though you say you've art work to include yet.

    What a joy to accomplish a heart's project.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't you just love success even if it takes effort?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The booklet looks so nice Lin. I once tried to make a newsletter on the computer and drove myself crazy, so I really admire this...

    ReplyDelete