Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Role of Adversity

We all go through challenging times in our lives and temporarily loose our focus. Ever wondered about the role of adversity? I found this excellent article (Blessings from Working with a Wayward Child By Larry Barkdull in Meridian's online magazine.) It's filled with thought provoking thoughts that helped me get centered once again.

1. When adversity strikes, we often focus on what it is doing TO us rather than what it is doing FOR us. The process of experiencing adversity is designed to chip away at our rough edges and strengthen muscles of character and spirituality that are essential to OUR GROWTH.

2. Likewise, because the Lord wants us to keep growing in spirituality and moving toward exaltation, He will give us pressing REASONS to PRAY (praying for a wayward child is an example). The present adversity simply acts as a catalyst to bring us to the Lord.

3. Remembering the LAW of OPPOSITES, we learn that adversity is also essential for happiness to exist. We wouldn’t know JOY for what it was without PAIN to compare it to. In addition, happiness is only one of the rewards for enduring adversity in faith; GAIN is another: God “shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain."

Just some helpful thoughts for anyone going through a period of ADVERSITY. And a final quote to ponder: Your pain is the breaking of the shell which encloses your understanding. Kahlil Gibran

5 comments:

  1. Interesting...
    In our Buddhist faith, we learn that life is full of adversities and suffering. We have to learn to deal with them.

    My mother always told me that in order to truly appreciate joy, you will have to experience some pain.

    She also said adversities also strengthen you for what could come next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this...also, I had NOTHING to do with the indoor water fight! That was the kids' doing while I gardened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will take these thoughts to work with me tomorrow. Thanks, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard a saying many years ago "before the light comes the dark" and that is what I keep in my mind when adversary happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always ask myself..what am I supposed to learn from this..and it helps me to focus on that I can do about things....at least I try to do that...Michelle

    ReplyDelete