Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What we celebrate


Each year I like to buy a book about the real Christmas story to share with my grandchildren while we act out the nativity scene with figurines. I want them to know why we celebrate this holiday season. I was so pleased to see this photo of my son Daniel and his wife Tina and my four grandkids in a nativity scene complete with costumes that they had taken last weekend. (Above photo shows l-r Heather as the angel who proclaims the Christ child's birth, James a short wiseman or king who brought presents to baby Jesus, Tina in blue is Mary mother of Jesus, Daniel is Mary's husband who would adopt and raise her Holy child as his own, Emilee and Nathan two more wisemen who brought gifts to the new King. Missing are the shepherds who saw the new star shining in the sky over the nativity location and came from their fields to worship the son of God born on earth.)

There is nothing like acting out the nativity scene with biblical verses to reinforce what we are celebrating. This is what Christmas is all about: giving to one another and those less fortunate, and REMEMBERING the Christ Child born so many years ago in Bethlehem. I know this is a real event that happened and not just a make believe story. His birth has greatly affected generations of people and was foretold since the beginning of time in the Old Testament of the bible. Let's put CHRIST back in Christmas.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful way of not only celebrating but also understanding the real values and morals behind this great festival.Enjoyed the picture a lot...all of them look so cute.
    Last year my daughter was a part of the song OH ,COME ALL YE FAITHFUL...we still sing it together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with you Lin, about putting "Christ" back in "Christmas". I too have a lovely nativity set and my children learned about the true meaning of the holiday from church, Sunday School and myself. Your family makes a very lovely nativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those who believe in Christ, Christmas is and always will be Christ centered. It is not being "stolen". But for nonbelievers it is still the spirit of giving and loving, whether represented by a nativity or a Santa and reindeer, that brings people together in harmony. Whatever your reason for the season, it's a time of much needed celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photo, Lin. I wish everybody a happy celebration no matter which way you celebrate the season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely photo and I know how important your faith is and to see your family involved must be very heartwarming for you Lin..May this be a wonderful Christmas season for you and your loved one....

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you and all of your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire the way you and your family live your faith.

    ReplyDelete