Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Terrible Class

I went to a writers workshop entitled "Writing as Art" at our local library last night. The workshop name sounded promising and something I'm interested in. The teacher was a local editor of a popular magazine, but it was terrible, boring, and unproductive. All about grammar in writing, nothing about art or how to improve your writing other than mechanically. What a waste of $15 and my time-an hour. Not all writers even English graduates can teach about writing or inspire and motivate others to write. I kept trying all through the class to learn something so it wasn't a complete waste, but it was a challenge. How often do we find ourselves in situations like that and don't know what to do other than not repeat that situation again. Getting up and leaving early seemed too rude, so I didn't use that option but it did give me something to blog about.