Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Our Dancing Days


We met at an LDS singles dance
Funny thing because you can’t dance
After a few community dance lessons
You gave up but came to the dance anyway

I was a professional college dance teacher
Divorced and lonely who frequented the dances
Always looking for a willing dance partner
Someone tall around six feet or so would do

There you were standing out in the crowd
Trying to look invisible, watching others dance
I asked if you wanted to dance
You told me truthfully you couldn’t dance

I tried the rest of the night unsuccessfully
To teach you a few ballroom dance basics
We talked and I found out your first name
Was the same as my ex-husband’s name

You graciously allowed me to temporarily change
Your first name to your middle name Allen
It stuck as we have now been married
Fifteen years but we stopped going to dances

Our first date was to a dance the next evening
The music was so loud that we couldn’t hear
Ourselves so we left early and sat in the car
Getting to know each other better by talking

You were divorced also and had four daughters
I had four sons and was four years older than you
The next day you called and I invited you
To dinner with two of my sons and a home teacher

Thus started a whirlwind courtship of
Weekend dates as you commuted from Arizona
Via Morris Airlines special flights to Salt Lake City
You came, we talked, tried to dance and fell in love

Engaged after a few months of long distance dating
We waited till June to marry in the temple
There to pledge fidelity to each other forever
And begin a new family with my young son

Moving to Roosevelt followed, as I left my career
As a school librarian to be a fulltime homemaker,
Mother and wife in the cold barren high desert
Called the Uintah Basin where we bought a home

We made a new life and waited for your retirement
The day after my youngest son had graduated
We left Roosevelt to create a homestead in Moab
Only to leave there within a year for Southern Utah

New Harmony was our first permanent retirement place
After five years, we again moved south to St. George
No snow or winter weather demands for us
No yard work, just leisure time to enjoy life

It all began at a singles LDS dance in Provo Utah
Where a dance teacher asked an unattached male
To dance and failed to teach him but they married
And lived happily ever after without dancing again