Sunday, March 27, 2011

Unexpected Visitor

I looked out on our back lawn and
all I could see was a circle of feathers
newly plucked from an unwilling victim
of a hawk or kestrel who was hungry.

I didn't see the sudden attack and death
of a small bird sitting on our lawn peacefully,
but the evidence was there as the larger bird
picked at the small carcass now de-feathered.

Eating with gusto and warily looking for
anyone wanting to disturb his dinner,
filled he finally flew away to a nearby wall
with the remains of his fresh meat capture.

6 comments:

  1. Nature is sometimes very sad, but apparently what happened in your yard is nature doing what it's supposed to do. I still feel sad for the victim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little unsuspecting birdie. I hate it when that happens, but happen it must.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. But I guess as Linda said nature is doing what it is supposed to do. I do like the photo of the bird sitting on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kestrel (or hawk) is a beautiful bird. It's sad to see a cute bird killed, but unfortunately, the larger bird has to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup a raptor left the calling card and I wish I knew which kind that is.. but I am not good with hawks yet...

    ReplyDelete