Sunday, October 11, 2009

I found it...

Been craving a real submarine sandwich like I used to get in California when they first came out in the 1950s. (Yes, I can remember back that far.) I was in Junior College and dancing professionally in the Los Angeles Ballet Company. After our intense ballet classes, we loved to go next door and get a fabulous sub. Moving to Utah to continue my college education at BYU, I lost track of sub sandwiches. Then Subway came to be, but they weren't the same. What made the original subs so good was the crusty French bread-a skinny 8 in. baquette sliced in two and loaded with Italian meat and cheese, oil and vinegar, tomatoes, sweet onions, shredded lettuce, and hot yellow peppers for those who liked them.














Well, I found them again, after almost 50 years, at Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches. Being curious about the popularity of this franchise, I decided yesterday to check them out. After eating their #9 Italian Night Club, I can tell you I found my original sub sandwich! Try them out if you have a Jimmy Johns in your area. They even have a website that will tell you if there's one near you and deliver to your home. Of course-I gained 1.5 pounds yesterday, but I thoroughly enjoyed eating ALL of the sub and didn't save any for my hubby-although I did tell him how good they were. LOL!

8 comments:

  1. We don't get this here....enjoy while my mouth waters...SOBS...SULKING ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we call them "Italian sandwiches," so I was surprised when you said you found the sandwich listed as an "Italian Night Club." I do love a good Italian sandwich. Ummm-ummmm. Your post made me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! now that looks really mouth watering. take a bite for me too Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every weekend, David buys 2 subs from Subway. He orders the crab meat sub, and I get the chicken-bacon-ranch sub -- both on toasted whole wheat bread and covered with veggies. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy...the sandwich sounds so good. I would love to have one right now. Its nice to know that persistence pays off after 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you did a thorough taste test and imparted some valuable information to Allen. I call that being a pal.

    That sandwich makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. It's not often we can recapture something good from our youth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a Jimmy John's quite close to my home. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete