Friday, February 22, 2008

Other Dances


If life is a dance, movement in time and space
That communicates and expresses to others
Then everything we do is dance, I believe that
And have taught that as a creative dance teacher
Many years ago in a university when I was younger
Thinner and more naive, then real life took over
As I joined forces with another professional dancer

Our dance was not one I would want to repeat
We could dance socially and on stage but our life
Together became a dance of deceit, intrigue, trickery
A sham of the life we set out to create together
After many years, I took control of this dance
Valued myself enough to set out as a soloist
Although a divorced mother of three growing sons

That was quite the dance, returning to Utah alone
As a single parent, struggling to make a living
Learning to forgive and forget and let go of the anger
Frustration and betrayal while performing my new role as
Mother, father, breadwinner, and an elementary teacher

So looking back I can feel only gratitude for today and
My husband of the past fifteen years who has integrity
Though we don’t dance socially we have managed
To choregraph a successful life together raising my last son
Now exploring our retirement, traveling, pursuing hobbies
And new interests has certainly been enjoyable
Creative and expressive, a dance of a new kind