Friday, April 29, 2016

Poetry CONTESTS galore...

Well, this month of APRIL is National Poetry Month. I attended the Utah State Poetry Society's annual awards conference last weekend, and won four awards for my poems which was exciting as I won nothing last year. Then it was time for the annual Mesquite Fine Arts Gallery's Poetry and Art contest where we entered poems and an artist chooses a poem to make an art piece. Last year I won BIG with a 1st place and Honorable Mentions. This year nothing, but it was fun to see the artwork that my poems had inspired. If you don't enter, you don't have the possibility of winning ever.

Dixie Poets: l-r Buss, Bonnie, me, Julie, Marie and Gary
not shown-Marilyn B.
A lovely buffet was served before the awards were given out.
Marie's poem About Red has an abstract painting and Best of Show
Bonnie's poem elicited a 3d collage piece with real animal bones and
an Honorable Mention award.
Julie a new poet to our group, won 1st place with a poem about Berries
My poem about Turquoise Memories had a beautiful painting with it.
Poet Gary on the right had several honorable mentions and a 2nd place
Another contest DSU's Southern Quill  magazine-some of the same faces:
l-r: Marilyn Ball, Marilyn Richardson, me, Gary and Julie.
Members of Heritage Writers Guild : Marilyn, Chris Abbott +  Julie

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a busy poetry month. I know this is a very rewarding kind of activity for you.

    ReplyDelete