Thursday, February 6, 2014

Article #280 More Family Stories

            Dee Gregory from St. George recalls this memorable experience: Once when Dad and I went to the barber shop for haircuts, I hurried to read all of the comic books in the shop before we left. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it, and had one comic book left to read.  I loved comic books, and wanted to read it. So, I stuck it inside my shirt and took it home. Later that day, Dad saw me reading it.  Of course, he determined that I had stolen it from the barber shop. Stealing was not tolerated in my family, so Dad put me in the car to take the comic book back and to apologize to the barber. 

          I had a pilot's cap in those days...a kind of leather-like cap that buckled under the chin with goggles so that you could look like a WWI pilot. I was very upset, and remember crying with the goggles over my eyes until the tears started to fill them up. Not many men had been in the shop when I took the comic book, but now it was full of customers waiting for haircuts. My Dad marched me into the shop where I returned the comic book and tearfully apologized in front of a crowd of strangers. I was more than humiliated. I will always remember my father's disappointment that his son would actually steal something. This was an important event in my life. It taught me that there are consequences for what we do.

            George Rowley of St. George shares these memories about Grandparents: I was the first grandchild to either set of grandparents, so I apparently had privileges that my siblings and cousins did not have. Beginning at age 5 or 6, I was allowed to stay at my grandparents’ home for a few weeks in the summer. I went back and forth from one house to the other. I confess that my mom’s parents were slight favorites, probably because they owned a car and would take me to movies, ball games, etc. One night I had a bad dream and woke up scared and homesick. My grandmother took me to the other grandma’s house in the middle of the night. The two grandmas meeting in the middle of the street to make the transfer. I enjoyed a happy childhood because of the influence of wonderful grandparents. 

           Thanks for sharing Dee and George. Now it’s YOUR turn. NEXT TIME: Don’t Forget Cousins. I’ll edit your short stories (200 words) and publish them in this column, just leave them as a comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment