Saturday, December 31, 2011

Articles #179 Procrastination and Progress

The New Year is a great time for making resolutions and creating change in your personal life, but it doesn’t take long before your goals become fodder for guilt feelings and even depression. More exercising, healthier diet, less stress are all worthy resolutions, but that old friend “procrastination” likes to make its appearance early.

Inner voices whisper: You know you won’t keep that resolution, why even try? I call these negative ideas that love to visit us whenever we are trying to make progress in our lives, “procrastination excuses.” Born of laziness perhaps, but also self doubt and lack of faith in our own ability to improve. Is there a way to overcome them?

For me writing about my feelings and inner voices helps me face reality. It’s true that I don’t always keep my resolutions. I’ve gained back 15 pounds that I lost several years ago, but that doesn’t predict my future. It just gives me good clues as what I could do to be successful. First of all, I need some kind of ACCOUNTABILITY tool. Some way to check my progress. Perhaps a chart or a journal can do that for you. Evaluate each day how you have done on whatever your goal is. Don’t let a day go by without being answerable to someone or to yourself via a journal or a checklist. A buddy who encourages you can also do wonders as you help each other.

So here’s the challenge pick some important goal-only one that you’ve struggled with for years. Write down specifically what and how you want to change this bad habit and reap the benefits of progress as an individual. I’ll show you how I plan to start this year. Since loosing weight is a # 1 priority for me for health reasons (diabetes and high blood pressure problems), I’m motivated. I will keep a food journal daily that includes an exercising checkup and make notes about my progress or lack of it. I’ll also enlist a friend who is working on the same goal, so we can encourage each other. Now it’s your turn.

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit I haven't even thought of a resolution this year. Tsk! I'll have to think of one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin, I haven't been around much these past weeks, but I didn't want to let the old year pass and the new one begin without coming by to wish you personally a beautiful year ahead.

    I like your food goal -- and the idea of keeping a food journal to track your journey to health and wellness in every area. As you say that, I realize I have a desire for that as well.

    Thanks for the positive poke....

    Blessings and great joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can be a major procrastinator!! I want to read more and watch TV less. Will I do it? Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish you and yours a happy,healthy,prosperous and peaceful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got my goal and my word--an idea I picked up from another blogger. She selects a word and makes it her focus for the year. Her word this year is giving. I've made it mine, too. God bless, Lin. Thanks for being a super blogger friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been good at making resolutions since I make (and try to achieve) goals throughout the year. Don't ask how that goes.

    Happy New Year to you and the family. I hope you have a blessed 2012!

    ReplyDelete