Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Talents or Hobbies

Something about the word "talent" makes most of us feel uneasy. We are okay in saying I love to write poems or paint or take photos but to claim that as one of our talents is difficult. Maybe there's a responsibility there to face up to. If we say we have a talent in music then there seems to me to be an attendant responsibility to do something with that talent...develop it, teach or share it.

I feel that everyone has a talent and earth life is where we are to develop these talents. i don't think that talents are just in the arts. Many have a talent of making friends or comforting those who grieve or being optimistic. I have tried lots of hobbies (see the photo above) to see if something clicked for me as a talent I might have. My list includes weaving, pottery, cooking, stained glass, and bead weaving but though enjoyable none of those clicked for me. I do love to teach, do genealogy, write and take photos. What is one of your talents that you haven't developed or discovered yet?

1 comment:

  1. Well... I'm not sure what the one or ones I haven't discovered yet may be. I think I can paint small items, teach, act reasonably well, cook (although not as well as I used too... getting out of practice) sculpt my little Santa faces, write letters, put most people at ease, ask intelligent questions...

    I'd like to develop the sculpting, take a class and learn to be a truly good photographer (I have some nice equipment) and discipline myself to write more often. BUT... I really want to perfect any skills I have at helping others to feel good about themselves, to feel joyful, to assist them in recognizing and embracing truth. I want to be someone who energetically tries to lift sagging spirits, mend broken dreams, and turn faces toward our Father in Heaven. That's a talent, if used well, that would enable me to leave big chunks of it here... and still take all of it with me. Kinda Cool.

    ReplyDelete