Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sorting Through the PAST



Well, I'm in a major overhaul of my home office
all because I need more room for special projects.
I'm returning to an old hobby-CARD MAKING but
don't want to make a mess on my dining table.



Then I got the bright idea to move out my file
cabinets, two big ones filled with miscellaneous
junk clear back to my college days at BYU-50
years ago. You won't believe what I've saved.

Notes from philosophy classes, library science
graduate work notes, religion lectures, handouts
on food storage, knitting, weaving, stained glass
almost every hobby I've ever tried and that's lots.

But you can't keep hoarding all that stuff thinking
that someday it will come in handy. I know what
will happen to it on my demise-someone in my
family will dump it directly into the garbage bin.

So I've decided to sort through and weed my stuff
now and see if any of it is worth keeping. As I sort,
memories float back of all the varied experiences
I've had, old journals, thoughts and poetry surface.



It's like a treasure hunt, memories from my life.
I can't take it with me, only what I've gleaned along
the way and actually put into use. I chuckle as I read
my entries of raising teens to hopes for happiness.

7 comments:

  1. It sure feels good when things get organized. I love when I move things around, it always seems like I have more room when I am all done. Good luck on the rearranging your office and on those beautiful cards you will be creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing when we moved to Hawaii. It was so very hard to part with a lot of the stuff. I agree though. They should be cleaned up so it doesn't make it that much harder for our survivors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we think that culling out that ol' stuff is a necessary and good thing -- and it is --

    but there's also something to be said about keeping it (even if it is 50 years old) because, for me, there is something enjoyable about letting old memories bubble up....

    friends and relationships, meals and holidays shared, notes received that lightened a heavy load, pressed corsages, even old fountain pens that were used during a special season....

    Maybe our loved ones will enjoy a snoop through it all, even if it does end the dumpster at the end. Maybe they'll learn something about us that helps them understand, heal, forgive or just love all the more.

    I love how you called it a treasure hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work constantly to keep "stuff" to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We collect and save things because of emotional attachments and many a times we think that we might need them in future . Most of the time we completely forget about them.
    Feels wonderful surfing through them once in a while .

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to reminisce as you sort through your collected stuff. Keepsakes, you keep. Old how to's, you toss. Information on how to do everything is available on the internet now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and let it go.

    ReplyDelete