Sunday, September 19, 2010

League of Utah Writers Conference

I'm in Salt Lake City near the airport for our annual League of Utah Writers Roundup Conference. A fun time to immerse myself in classes on how to write better, publish, etc. I'll also be meeting with an agent and a local publisher-Deseret Books to see IF I can interest them in any of my publications. A long shot, but something I've never done before so I decided to give it a try! There's no PROGRESS without RISKING...

Last year I won a prize for my poem IT for Wordsmith Award for most humorous. This year I only submitted for two categories and I tied for first prize in: Journalism Portfolio-a collection of all my writings for the past two years including my work as editor for the Heritage Writers Newsletter-18 issues, my weekly column LOOKING BACK... for the Sr. Sampler-108 issues, various magazine articles: 10 for Desert Saints, 2 in US Archery, 1 almost in Ensign-that's another story, and my online sites including my blog (you are there) and my family history website. Sometimes I've felt like a writing machine-which isn't all bad but very releasing and creative. The other category I entered was Prose for Tweens ages 9-12-my entry was my then unpublished book NATURE NOTES for KIDS-animal poetry for kids, a new attempt and genre for me. I even won money 2nd prize and $75 for my kids book. Fun times
The real test of any kid's book, my grandson James looks at Nature Notes. He looks a little like a raccoon cause he fell and got stitches across his nose. Typical boy...lol!

7 comments:

  1. wow. too good Lin. keep up the good work and congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stitches across his nose? Now that sounds pretty scary. I'm glad he's OK.

    Congratulations on all the wins, Lin! That is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great event. Your grandson is an awesome promoter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. watching you receive this award is like watching my Mom get one of her poetic awards...congratulations Lin...good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you are willing to take risks...and they paid off..Oh that poor little guy's nose looks sore...

    ReplyDelete