Thursday, October 22, 2009

Looking at old photos


How precious are old photos saved by our grandmothers in antique scrapbooks and albums usually without captions. How important to ask them while they are still around who, when and what then label each priceless memory so we can share the photos with others. My hubby has a special Texas cousin who is a lifelong genealogist and has preserved the stories and images of her Forrest kinfolk. Let's hear it for cousin Amelia in Gatesville, Texas! (Photo above of my husband's mother Wanda Laxson and her mother Frankie Juanita Forrest.)

6 comments:

  1. Gulp! I still haven't gotten around to labeling photos from years ago, I keep telling myself I will remember what the occasion was, who was in the photo, etc. Guess I will add that job to my already long winter to-do list! How very fortunate you have family who has carefully preserved family memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine looks like Grandmommy!!! I have a picture of Katherine with short hair and wow..I guess it is a good thing her name is Louise too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. My mother's family had a penchant for noting lots of detail on the backs of the photos. This makes for a wonderful if disjointed narrative. Very interesting. I love the pieces and how they come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was very particular on leveling the pictures...i think i must start doing the same.Thanks for bringing this up,i am always directed on track for many important things when i come to your page.What next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'd add, SCAN the old photos, too. Save the scanned photos on a CD and put it in your safe deposit box. Of course I haven't done this myself with all of my old photos, but I've made a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right about asking your relatives while they're alive. We missed our opportunity when Art's uncle passed away this year.

    ReplyDelete