Saturday, September 20, 2008

Article #22 Hairstyles and Fashions

The early permanent waves given in beauty shops used a contraption that looked like it was from outer space, a stand with multiple electric wires attached. It had clips on the ends of the wires that hooked onto the small rollers that held your hair tightly wound to heat them. Once attached, I always wondered what would happen if an earthquake came right in the middle of my perm. Would I be able to get away from the machine or be stuck in the beauty parlor forever looking like an alien who had just landed?

Talking about beauty shops: why was it if you had curly hair, you wanted your hair straightened; but if you had straight hair, you wanted a perm so you could have curls. My husband loves to ask…so, what is permanent about your perms?…especially when you go back every three months to get another one

Hairstyles have changed through the years, remember Shirley Temple? When I was young, ringlets were in style. This required my Mom to put my freshly shampooed and permed hair on small rollers or tie it up with rags. No electric curling irons existed then but my mom had used curling irons when younger that could be heated on the wood or coal stove to do her hair in Marcell waves. She had to be careful as she did her hair not to singe it. 

I remember when you wouldn’t think of going to church or town without a nice hat and fancy gloves. They were necessary fashion accessories. Easter Sunday was an occasion to buy a new bonnet that had to match your new dress. As I look back at my old photos, I have to laugh at how strange I look with my small hat, its attached flowers or feathers and veil. The only hat I wear these days is a large brimmed straw hat to keep the sun off my face while walking outside.

Clothing fashions have changed lots over the years. When I was in school, girls and women always wore dresses at home, school or work. Slacks or shorts, could only be worn at home. The only variation to dresses was the length of the skirts depending on the current style. Fashion still dictates what we wear and what hairstyles are popular. Today, it seems sloppy or casual is in style.

5 comments:

  1. I for one no longer let fashion, or anything else, for that matter, dictate to me. Close-cropped, "easy" hair, in natural gray, denim and tee shirts, cozy flannel shirts and fleece in the cold months - that's me. I have a few things I keep for occasions where my standard daily uniform won't do, but fashion is no longer a consideration. My style is "timeless".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things have changed. I remember my mother putting my hair up in rags for ringlets for my first communion and you always dressed for church and for flying on a plane..How things have changed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back wonderful memories. I often think about how fashion has changed when I go to services or meetings, even dressy events- you always see someone in raggedy jeans and probably flip-flops...uggg.

    Thank you for your kind comments and your encouragement, it really means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would dress up in Grandmommy's high heel shoes...she had so many great pairs of shoes. I think the women in the 40's and 50's were ever so stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I moved to the Bay area many moons ago, we always wore suits, nylons, heels, and gloves to the city. ALWAYS! Now the streets are full of people in grunge wear.

    When we used to go to the ballet, we "dressed to the nines"... Now, the most of what you see is the
    same grunge wear that you see on the streets of San Francisco.

    I used to think it was fun to dress up. I h ad a great "cruise ship" wardrobe. Lots of beaded jackets, velvet, chiffon... sigh. I liked feeling like Cinderella for a night.

    But now, I have a tendency to agree with Linda. It's got to feel good. Soft, roomy enough to sit and bend in, warm in winter, and cool in summer.

    I also remember having my hair set in rags for Shirley Temple ringlets...until I got a little older and Margaret O'Brian became a screen favorite and mom began to braid my hair.

    I was in the beauty business during the peak of backcombing or "ratting" hair. Huge dancing curls were the rage. Pretty ugly stuff. I'm so happy that hair has gone to a more natural look.

    I also remember attending the "Y" when no pants were allowed. So, you'd walk all over that campus during winter blizzard conditions with blue kneecaps and frost bitten ankles all for the sake of wearing a dress. SOOO glad that's no longer the policy!

    On the other hand...imagine walking the plains in August with several layers of long skirt wrapping around your legs. Or wearing a high neck collar, long sleeves, and a corset the same time of year. Without sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete