Thursday, March 22, 2012

What is POETRY?


I'm working on a short INTRO to POETRY program for my YOUTH POETRY CONTEST coming up April 7th at Tuacahn Saturday Market. TCM co-sponsors the competition with the Utah State Poetry Society of which I am co-president this year. The theme this year is WHAT IF... Last year we had 106 students participate from our local Washington County school district. Prizes were awarded from participating merchants in the area. The youth read their winning entries on stage for parents and other winners at Tuacahn's Saturday Market on the pre-stage show. It was a fun activity that I started last year and continued this year with the support of the Utah State Poetry Society-Dixie Chapter of which I am the president.

Trying to help youth find their VOICE is something I feel is important in this crazy world of non-communication, depression and so many youth suicides. Poetry is truly a labor of love for me, self expression and a way to help others find their voice.

5 comments:

  1. It's a wonderful idea..I used to have my students write or in many cases, dictate things in a journal. They were not able to write poetry at their academic level, but I thought that it gave a voice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working with youth is a wonderful thing, rewarding for you and for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A much needed idea .I admire the way you utilize your time .

    ReplyDelete
  4. being co-president twice, does that get you to be THE president next? Like in PTA? Good for you. Your love of the words makes you the perfect leader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you and your endeavors to boost kids' creativity. Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete