Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Article #164 Oral History

With all the emphasis on writing, printing and publishing your family history, don’t forget the other option of oral history or storytelling. Always contact the oldest members in your family for details they might remember about you or the subject of your writing. Ask to see their old family photos. Taking your scrapbooks to discuss and show can open up opportunities for collecting new facts and details that you may not have. It also gets your older relatives involved in your project to preserve your shared family history through writing.

There are many books and websites with lists of interesting questions to ask individuals as you interview them. Tape or video recordings are helpful tools when gathering facts and stories during interviews. Be sure to take good notes so you can remember details later. If you publish online or digitally, excerpts from these interviews could be fun to share (if those interviewed will allow this.)

When writing my stepfather’s life story about WWII times, he didn’t want to be recorded. So, I took careful notes, and then checked with him for any corrections or additions. Many years ago I asked my own father’s family: his siblings and parents to tell me more about my dad since he died when I was five. I still cherish the audiotape they made in 1975 responding to my mailed questions. Hearing their familiar voices discussing the life of my loved one departed so many years ago stills bring back sweet memories. Too bad it wasn’t filmed, that would be a priceless treasure for our family today.

Many societies only transmit their genealogy by storytelling. It’s called oral history. And sadly if these tales were not ever written down, when the older storytellers die, their tales go with them or are left to younger family members to try to remember. How many of us, after the death of a loved one, have wanted to ask them something about earlier times.

It’s important to talk about the stories in your life, share your family experiences with your posterity. Make opportunities to introduce into your daily conversations with family: memories that you recall, lessons you learned, challenges you overcame, etc. It’s time to focus on preserving your family’s heritage. It will be a priceless gift for your family especially one day when you are gone.

3 comments:

  1. We too have our genealogy shared through storytelling .Most of our religious ceremonies and other rituals start with thanking our ancestors ( last nine generations) so we do keep a good track but mostly orally .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stories that we bring up so often at family get-togethers.... I love them. And I never tire of them. I can hear them over and over. And it's interesting, I'm enjoying the old stories my mom tells of when I was little (those moments I don't remember) because it links us... knits hearts together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep trying to get my Mother-in-law to talk, I've tried a journal with questions, a small tape recorder, asking her on the phone. It is difficult for her to talk about her childhood in Germany before she escaped the Nazis

    ReplyDelete