Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Check out the Possibilities

A fortune in my Dove chocolate candy today said...Do not look back and ask why, look forward and ask, why not. I'm a firm believer in continuing education despite my mom's insistence until her death that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I believe you can, if the old dog wants to learn.


Before we retired, I organized a community education program called Horizons for Utah State University's branch campuses in Roosevelt and Vernal. I decided to have classes on everything I'd ever wanted to try, such as: stained glass, beading-making jewelry, pottery, weaving, basketmaking, spinning wool, guitar, photography, computers, woodworking projects, mexican and french cooking, social and line dancing, rock art, upholstery, wood carving, webpage making, photoshop, family history research and many other subjects. So I took all the classes and found some new hobbies to pursue. Found out I like photography, family history, scrapbooking and writing best. (See a display of my completed projects above.) You can't do all these hobbies,  but you need to try new ones to see if one catches your interest.

Tell us what interests you would like to develop or what classes you'd like to take if you could:

8 comments:

  1. You are a busy lady! And you do a lot of good things for your community.

    I love to learn also, but do better when I can learn things on my own. I suffer from social-anxiety and have never been comfortable in classroom settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more accordion lessons.
    those easter eggs that might be ukrainian.
    tatting since I don't remember a whole lot about what Marian taught me.
    Wii online-ing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photography, sculpting, needle tatting, ballroom dancing with Wayne...

    I'd like to learn how to make animals out of those long skinny balloons so I can do the "clown Schtick" again...

    I 'd like to play the guitar, and I'd like to be a master gardner...

    I'd like to do more public speaking and life coaching. I miss that... a lot, surprisingly.

    That's it for now. At my age, it'll be a miracle if I get a third of the way through this list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Lin! It's great to let the mind explore. I have always enjoyed origami for that reason. There's always something new to me to learn and always someone glad to show me. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to go back to school to be a photographer, an architect, biologist, sociologist, get into etymology, become piano player good enough to play "Frederic Chopin" oh well, I guess I need another life time to do all this but I know I will go back to school to learn at least 3 of the subjects above before I turn 70 :) thanks mom, for making me think for what I want to be when I grow up !! I have been too busy to think what Hakan's going to be when he grows up.. it feels good to think ones self once in a while..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really took all of those classes?
    When I retired, I took more time to read the paper, especially the editorial page. I have been known to write a few letters to the editor, too. I even work some of the word puzzles! Of course I have my gardening,and it is so wonderful to not have to crowd it all into the weekends in the spring and fall.
    I also took up sewing again, purchasing a new machine with computerized embriodery. I did not take classes, but did my own tutorial using the manual and creating the projects to try out each process. I love making things for my grandchildren. That hobby replaces gardening in the cold months.
    I watch news-based TV and listen to "common sense" talk radio to satisfy my interest in politics.
    My photography isn't formal. I have never taken any classes in it or in much of anything else. Like in most other things, I'm self taught. I love sharing photos and short videos with my long distance grandchildren.
    And then there is travel. Before we take trips we do a great deal of research, so we know what to see and what we are seeing.
    Wow. Thanks for the question. I had more to say than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to get another degree in social work and start another career. Classes in gardening, photography, knitting..lots of ideas. Limited mobility...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sewing, think I would like a class in pattern making as I mostly use patterns for making clothes. Everything else, I can manage without a pattern. Always said I wanted to learn that and, I will.

    ReplyDelete