Thursday, August 21, 2014

Happy 50th Un-Anniversary!

I found a POEM that describes life. Thanks to my friend Carolyn. She used it as a family therapist to help others heal from major trauma in their lives. It seems to fit my mood for this 50th un-anniversary of my first marriage in 1964 that ended in divorce in 1975. Oh, the lessons I have learned and the many poems/books that came from this experience. Life is never easy for anyone, but sometimes we victimize ourselves long after an event happens...by revisiting and dwelling on its effect on our life. Time to complete the healing! Celebrate my LIFE now!

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters By Portia Nelson

I
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.
II
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place
but, it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.
III
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
my eyes are open
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.
IV
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.
V
I walk down another street.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent poem, and right on target for how we might continue to repeat the same old, same old. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poem! Sometimes it just takes us longer to 'get it', but thankfully we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is timely for me, as this is the first anniversary of my daughter's divorce. I'm sure she has plenty of pot holes along her path, but she seems to have avoided the big pitfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad to hear you are finally letting go of that marriage and all its pains. i wondered if you were still attached to him in some odd way. it happens. but you are safe and happy now and that's all that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post! The pain follows us like a strangely dutiful teacher!

    ReplyDelete