Monday, August 18, 2014

Article #305 Friends and Family

         Thank goodness for friends that come into our life and become like family to us. In my growing up years as an only child, I turned to cousins and friends of all ages for support, encouragement and listening ears. With my mom as a widow, I needed male role models in my life. My grandfather stepped in and gave me the hugs, attention and time needed until we moved away. Then, a special grandmother became my friend, babysitter and role model while my mom worked.

Close friends can be like family. As I look back, I remember playing with a gang of little kids in my pre-elementary school years. It didn’t matter their age or gender. We were buddies. gathered together for fun and adventure. When I moved to my maternal grandmother’s home with my mom after my dad’s death, I had two male cousins that were like brothers to me. We played together, and walked to grade school together. I even shared a classroom with my cousin Bill who was my same age. Our mothers were sisters, and our grandma was babysitter to us all. Other female cousins became my life-long friends.

            Do you talk to your grandchildren or nieces and nephews about your childhood friends? Everyone could use a family member or friend who cares.  Being free from the day to day pressures of child raising could free up those of us in our golden years to share with our posterity or extended family members values needed for personal survival and fulfillment. Young ones cherish time spent with loving family members that show an interest in their lives. I can still remember with fondness talking with my grandparents and sharing my experiences with them. 

Nowadays, connecting and listening can be done via emails, phone calls or even texting or skyping if you live a distance from those you care about. Parents in your family can use some one on one time if only a word of encouragement in their many responsibilities. Though, eye to eye contact and hugs are necessary for all of us to survive in our digital society. Telling your descendents what life was like when you were young can help give them a perspective on their lives that could be lacking. Writing down and sharing your experiences will preserve your efforts with life for generations. NEXT TIME: Expectations.  Read more of Lin's childhood experiences in her first book published LOOKING BACK AT THE GOOD OLD DAYS, available here for $10.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Lin, we had our grandson with us for the weekend and had such a great time. My daughter and son-in-law has some time off as well. He's a delight, but he really likes building Legos or playing games with his grandpa. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Lin - if the older generation doesn't share what their youth was like the younger generation will miss out on some rich heritage. Love the idea of going out of our way to encourage family members in an intentional way.

    ReplyDelete