Friday, April 19, 2013

Spring WILD FLOWER Hike

Time for the photo club annual trek for wildflowers nearby.
Searching the barren hillsides near our retirement community.

The endangered Dwarf Bearclaw Poppy, only grows here.

 Stansbury Cliffrose is quite healthy looking in our desert.

Indian Paintbrush are quite colorful and common here.

I think this is the Common Mullein and
has a purple flower at the top later.

I'm guessing this is the Weakstem Mariposa Lily.

Our guide was a retired Biology HS teacher who
knows his stuff. We are all novices but interested.

More Indian paintbrush?

I'm guessing Weakstem Mariposa Lily?

Hedge Hog cactus has beautiful flowers.

Gorgeous closeup but watch out for the needles.

Amazing how plants grow with little soil or moisture.

Soft and fragile vs. prickly and sharp!


Photographers hunting for beauty among the rocks!


5 comments:

  1. In search of small beauties! What a fun outing, and good job on your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post, Lin. I love wildflowers and it's not often I see desert wildflowers. It's fun to know all the names of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello....is this in or near Eureka? My son is buying a home here, he said its the perfect place to raise kids. My 11 year old Granddaughter has 9 in her class, and my 12 year old Grandson has 11 in his. I'm living with them so I can help my son, and we are a very close family.

    We have ATV's and there is endless places to ride. I never knew the high desert could be so beautiful!

    Anyway how would one join in on all the fun your group is having?

    Sincerely BNB

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is around St. George-high country desert area!

    ReplyDelete