Thursday, March 15, 2012

Memories of Iceland

As a participant in Snorri Plus in Aug 2011, I can say it fulfilled a life long dream of mine as a genealogist for over 50 years to walk on the land where some of my ancestors lived. (Above photo of me eating a delicious lamb hot dog and luscious mustard in Reykjavik!)

A special part of the program was getting in touch with Icelandic cousins who shared the same heritage I do. It was like a giant family reunion in Rekjavik and in the Westman Islands.

I learned so much of the history and culture of my ancestors plus touring and walking in the diverse landscape helped me to appreciate the land of fire and ice. Meeting and visiting with the Pres of Iceland was a special treat. (Above land of reindeer and beautiful wool sweaters.)

I would recommend anyone interested in Iceland to check out Snorri Plus-it's well worth the time and money. Traveling alone from the United States to Iceland as a 71 year old, I became part of another family at Snorri Plus as our small group of participants bonded after spending two weeks together in classes, touring and partying. (Above not to mention the great tasty food, sandwich with lamb meat.) It was so fun; now I have over 2000 photos of this beautiful land to share with my family here. Thanks for a memorable experience.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to visit Iceland, although I don't believe I have any ancestors from there. What a trip you took.

    I've tried and tried to disable the robot stuff on my comments page but cannot find the spot where I can supposedly make this happen. Very frustrating for me as well as my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you were able to do this and make those connections..hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son has always said he's got Iceland on his bucket list and feels we should go there too. I love all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That trip was wonderful. You leave me feeling like I have been there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine it was an awesome experience to walk on the land where some of your ancestors lived. Makes me tingly inside just thinking about it. Glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Lin it was an absolutely incredible shared experience . Our entire group formed a wonderful, strong bond and Snorri Plus opened the doors to new relatives, our Icelandic history, and further life adventures. Take care. Ferne

    ReplyDelete