Thursday, September 15, 2011

Article #165 Family History Gifts

The best way to preserve your family history or life story is to write and publish it, but there are other options of sharing your memories through memorabilia. I have made a photo collage of my dad’s life that hangs in my office and constantly reminds me of him. I compiled a written history of his life from letters he wrote my mother during their courtship, and interviews I arranged with his siblings and parents. All these relatives are now deceased but the memories remain for me to share with my children and grandchildren.

Why write your life history or preserve their memorabilia of your parents or your grandparents, etc? It can help you to make connections, to find your roots, preserve your legacy to understand where you came from, and what sacrifices were made that brought your family to this great country where we live. What struggles, challenges and trials did they overcome? How do families support each other? What strengths or character traits do you share with your earlier forefathers?

How does honoring them or at least knowing of them, help you become a better person? How could your posterity benefit from learning of your life? What would you like them to know of your journey here and what life has taught you? What are talents you developed and could share with them? Have you collected any family photos or scrapbooks that can be passed down?

Any family heirlooms or objects, antiques or memorabilia that brings back memories of special ethnic traditions, recipes, and celebrations are meaningful. All of this can be passed down with a written history published and memorabilia shared with your loved ones. Family history gifts can be photo collections to post on your living room wall, special items of sentimental value displayed, handiwork or hand crafted articles can be carefully preserved and displayed for family to enjoy in shadow boxes: quilts, tablecloths, awards, etc. Memories from the past.

Look around your own home and make a list of your memorabilia. Don’t forget to share these objects with your extended family through donating your histories and copies of historical photos to local museums or libraries to help them preserve their area’s legacy. I have my mom’s school class photo from the early 1920s that I think the Utah State historical Society would like to have. What do you have?

7 comments:

  1. I made 2 of these for Christmas gifts last year....They turned out nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Lin. I am always amazed at what you have done or are working on to preserve family history. It is indeed a gift for your children and grandchildren. I wished I had interviewed my grandmother who lived to 102, my oldest son is such a history buff and I know he would have loved to have had more of her life stories. Thankfully he is always asking me about family and truly appreciates it, maybe its a project that he and I can work on together! Thanks Lin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminder. Now I need to make the time to complete these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memorabilia....Plenty here. I have come to the conclusion that a family need buy furniture only once every other generation. Or, at least, lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have much in the way of that kind of thing..My mother's house fires took care of that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much. Thanks for sharing!

    Erin
    www.someoneinmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete