Friday, June 17, 2011

Weeding my collection

As a school librarian every once in awhile, it was time to weed the collection. That needs to happen at my home also. This week it was the clothes closet's turn because we are getting more insulation in our garage's attic and walls. Of course, the only way to that area is through our bedroom walk-in closet.


So in about a half hour, I tried on blouses, jackets and skirts I haven't worn for a year or more and collected two bags full to go to our local thrift store. It was this past year that I went shopping with my friend Caryn in one and brought home a couple of items that I am now recycling as I weed my closet.

What a great feeling to lighten the load of choices in my closet to just a few that fit and that I like to wear. It's been over a year since I've worn something, it's probably not worth keeping. Someone else perhaps in a third world country would find it worthwhile and needed in their lives. RECYCLING feels so good!

Me getting measured for new glasses. I can recycle my old eyewear!

8 comments:

  1. We distribute our old things amongst the poor people every time i go to our village .Recycling is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cleaning out closets sure is a tideous job. The nice thing is being able to either give it away or donate them...Millie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is ALWAYS a good feeling.

    And if I buy something that I find out after is a mistake, I no longer hold onto it; it also goes into the give away bag without guilt, even if it's brand new.

    And since I'm getting rid of the 'poverty' mindset (which includes that there won't be enough or that I wasted my money) I look at giving that item as sharing a gift...even if I'll never meet that person who eventually gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cut, cut, cut = share, share share!

    Good luck with the goggles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is something that I really need to do. And soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Lin! I sure did all that when we moved to Hawaii. However, I probably should do some weeding again.

    Thank you for your visits and patience. I'm still so horribly jet lagged. I don't know what's the matter with me. I'm trying to get through the thousands of photos that were taken by three cameras and it's exhausting! Sigh.

    I've been wanting to catch up with everybody, but my energy level is so low right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I not only need to weed out my closet... but my attitudes. I need to cling to beliefs and ideas that are still dear to me and let go of a few that no longer offer import and definition to my life or the lives of those I have come to care about. It's easier getting rid of worn out t-shirts and too tight pants. I do LOVE cleaning out my closet. De-cluttering my home seems to help de-clutter my mind as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather was so bad this spring that I did a lot of closets and donations...

    ReplyDelete