Monday, April 11, 2011

Homesteading Dreams

We all have dreams we've carried with us since our youth.
Mine was to live happily ever after and have five daughters.
My hubby's was to find his ideal homestead to retire to.
Fast forward, after 4 sons, I have 4 stepdaughters, and I'm happy.

Photos of young Katherine and Sarah in their dad's Texas garden

But, my hubby is still looking for that rural place among
the tall pines, with clear running water and/or a good well
where he can plant a large garden and fruit trees to become
self sufficient in this hustle bustle urban world of today.

So the years pass, we aren't getting any younger and he is
still looking for that retirement place with the ideal climate.
Notice his huge garden in Texas, but it was humid there.
It's too hot to garden where we live now, though the pioneers did!

7 comments:

  1. I will probably be like your husband, always looking for my perfect retirement place. My husband loves Fl but not me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There might not be a "perfect" place. Don't wait too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting, a really nice post Lin. You and I had the same dream, sounds like yours came true. Four daughters is about the same as five, I think.

    I have only to spend an afternoon with my bunch to know that my dream definitely came true. They are my happy ever after!

    Thanks for sharing, this made me stop and think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am where we will stay.. My search is over I think...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that perfect place. I hope it is found!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an amazing garden! I wish we had space here to grow something more.

    ReplyDelete