Thursday, August 12, 2010

Un-slumping

by Dr. Seuss
"And when you're in a Slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done."

How to get un-slumped or pull yourself out of depression
is not easy because first you have to realize where you are.
Down but not out, blue, out of sorts, tired, unmotivated
all of these are good descriptors but don't solve anything.

Why? is a better question-overwhelmed, on a pity party
poor me, etc. or physically ill. There are many reasons.
Pills may help to change your chemical imbalance but
I rely on writing to help me get in touch with my feelings.

Then I sort them out to understand what is taking place
inside of me to sabotage my growth and progress. Little
voices seeking to negate all my positive talents and abilities.
When I can understand my emotions, then I can recover.

Making gratitude lists helps or sometimes just getting so
tired of being down-unproductive can get me going again.
Once back to normalcy and creatively happily living my life,
I resolve not to slip back into destructive habits.

7 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post..... like that phrase 'un-slumping'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful and motivating post.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Un-slumping..I like that term and I think people need to find what works for them..but writing is always a good way to get in touch with yourself....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like the term "un-slumping". I am working hard on un-slumping myself, taking it as much positive as I can. Great idea for journaling one's feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, writing it out is a productive way to get to the truth, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, Lin. I love how you solve your own problems and share that knowledge with the rest of us. I guess it's truly important to keep counting our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So hear you about gratitude! Great post.

    ReplyDelete