Sunday, November 8, 2009

Marketing Self Again

Seems I've used this same topic on a post almost two months ago about marketing my Creative Blogging class. This post is about the local CRAFT FAIR we had yesterday. I organized a table for 5 local authors from our Heritage Writer's Guild to come and display their books for sale.

Photo of my friend Merrilee who is an artist and also sold some of her fun creations-quilted patterned apron-bibs and lovely artistic decorated family group charts. She is so creative and fun to be around. A friend indeed. We had a fun time visiting with one another and trying to market our own books and crafts to those attending the fair.

(See photo above l-r Lin, Beth, Russ, Marilyn and Betty-HWG President) I watched with amazement as one author friend Russ Estlack was very effective and sold 6 of his own books in less than 2 hours while some of us struggled most of the day, trying to sell just one book. This is how he did it, he made eye-to-eye contact with anyone passing our table and asked them a general question: "Do you read?" This was a hook to get them to slow down and come nearer to look at our display. Then he proceeded to tell them about several of the books on display ending with his own which is about the treatment of German Americans during WWII in the United States called "Shattered Dreams, Shattered Lives.

I learned much from watching him in action. One idea surfaced, I do not like to sell anything including my own books. But unless you have an agent or a book publishing company marketing your book, your choice is to sell or give them away. Then I got to thinking about how we all market our selves as we interact with others in our normal living. We try to sell our own value as a friend, teacher, etc. Maybe that is what blogging is about? What do you think? More tomorrow on that...

9 comments:

  1. Funny you should post this entry just as I've finally found the courage to set up my own shop at etsy.com. Of course, I've yet to put any actual items in it to sell, but I hope to do that before the day is gone. It is definitely hard to market one's own creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, marketing is what it is all about. When I write a column for the local newspaper, I always add an author's tag at the bottom, stating that I live in Honolulu and am the author of ---.

    When I was a commentator on Hawaii Public Radio, the announcer always mentioned my books at the end of my speech.

    You will be surprised how many books get bought that way. Also, I sold my books to the public libraries in Hawaii, and my books were always checked out after a column or commentary ran.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have joined you! You have inspired many blogging friends to begin a variety of activities. Keep it going, Lin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Lin. I'm always too shy to think of marketing myself but I can see where you have to as an author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marketing is tough and even if published traditionally, we will still have to do a lot of it!
    About being a sub teacher, I left education in college--can't stand up in front of people! Anyways, I need full time with benefits:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all about marketing one way or another, isn't it? This can be a good thing if it means we are always looking for our best selves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hadn't thought of interacting as selling myself or marketing. Some aspects are, I guess, but it's always easier to make the "sale" when money is not involved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marketing is very crucial ...specially now when we see that book-reading trend is not as much in as it used to be before internet...personally i too am little shy but would love to learn a few skills of this field.I liked the suggestions GIGI mentioned.

    LIN,if got time please visit kavita-myguwahati.blogspot.com.....want to share a letter Gauri my daughter wrote to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people I think are natural salesmen and I am not comfortable enough to do that...

    ReplyDelete