Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Teaching Feedback

On my walk today I happened to meet a former classmate of mine (and his wife) who took my "Write your life history" class and loved it. I mean he was so enthusiastic. After my free class taught at our church, he sent me a $20 gift certificate for a local eatery. Then when I advertised my book for sale, he came right over and bought it. I love students like that. They are few and far between. Compare that with another student I had recently, an older lady who took my "Creative Blogging" class and got so frustrated she quit the class. Despite my best efforts to encourage her, give her one on one help in class and offer to visit her home and help her there, she gave up. So I've had both kinds of feedback-positive and negative. What makes the difference in learning styles? I think attitude, willingness to listen and try new things. Seeing lack of knowledge not as an obstacle, but a challenge to overcome.

Right now I'm teaching a family history class for my church with a new program online that has been introduced. After 50 years of teaching this class with no manual, I now have one but it needs to be adapted because most of my students are not beginners but have spent years doing their genealogy. I've outlined my lessons and made handouts, but then my students aren't there everytime. So some have missed 2 out of the 3 lessons I've taught so far, which is frustrating to me as a teacher. There is so much involved in teaching and I'm just talking about teaching adults. With children, there is also the discipline factor-capturing their attention and keeping it. Teaching isn't easy but when it works, it changes lives-both yours as the teacher and the student as an individual. You make a connection that can have eternal implications.

8 comments:

  1. You're speaking to the choir here. It's wonderful that you're teaching adults now and helping them enrich their lives. I really admire what you do, Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too admire you a lot LIN ...like i have mentioned it so many times...you amaze me and inspire me in so many ways.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too admire you immensely Lin. I wished I lived nearby so I could take your classes! I have learned alot from you through your blog and I appreciate your sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post on feedback. I love feedback (well, esp the positive kind). I found it interesting to read about your two students' responses.

    I also know what you mean about people who miss classes and sessions. I've noticed there are individuals who are always 'missing out'..... I wonder if they realize it. It's hard to move a group forward when there's always someone missing and trying to catch up.

    I know life happens, but I don't think as often as we believe.

    It could be that people don't recognize there is a difference between 'being available' and 'being committed'. There will always be something else that comes up to keep us away from what we've agreed to. So it's often more a matter of deciding I'm going to be there, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Brenda mentioed, it's about being committed.
    I often think the only differences between a class of children and a class of adults are their size and age. The mix of personality traits is still there.
    There is another difference though, especially in your classes. The children had to be there. The adults make a choice. All the more reason to be committed once you make that choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the student who quit your class did it, no doubt, out of fear at not being able to learn, not out of refusing to learn. It's hard to remember that when we so badly want to help them learn, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teaching is never easy. It's so true that when the student is ready, the teacher arrives. We are all students and teachers; it's a matter of seeing it that way and opening to the gifts. I am glad you are among those who get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sigh..I miss teaching..It is challenging but rewarding. My most precious gift was a note from one of special ed students carefully printed with many errors but given to me when this former student was then in my husband's class.. Priceless.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete